Association of European Operational Research Societies
|Purpose||To promote operations research|
|Europe, Middle East, Africa|
|International Federation of Operational Research Societies|
The Association of European Operational Research Societies (EURO) is a regional grouping within the International Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS) whose aim is to promote operations research throughout Europe. It was established in 1975.
EURO is a nonprofit organization domiciled in Switzerland. It aims at the advancement of knowledge, interest and education in operational research by the exchange of information, the holding of meetings and conferences, the publication of books, papers, and journals, the awarding of prizes, and the promotion of early stage talents. Full membership is restricted to national societies which are members of IFORS and do not belong to any other regional grouping. Its affairs are regulated by a council consisting of one representative and one alternate of each of its members and an executive committee.
The EURO member societies are:
EURO publishes scholarly journals and books about operational research, and organizes international conferences. It also bestows Awards, supports working groups, and organizes educational meetings.
- European Journal of Operational Research
- EURO Journal on Computational Optimization
- EURO Journal on Decision Processes
- EURO Journal on Transportation and Logistics
and the book series EURO Advanced Tutorials in Operational Research.
- EURO Gold Medal. The highest distinction within OR in Europe is conferred for an outstanding contribution to operational research.
- Distinguished Service Medal Award, a recognition of distinguished service to the association and to the profession of OR.
- Excellence in Practice Award, to recognize outstanding accomplishments in the practice of operational research.
- Doctoral Dissertation Award, to recognize the OR contributions of PhD students.
- EURO Award for the Best EJOR Papers, to recognize the best articles published in the European Journal of Operational Research.
EURO organizes a number of different conferences and events throughout each year:
- The EURO-k Conferences are broadly oriented and can be organized in cooperation with other associations such as INFORMS.
- EURO Mini Conferences have the objective of assembling a limited number of specialists around a specific theme. At most two EURO Mini Conferences can be supported each year.
- EWG Meetings are organized at least once a year by each EURO Working Group.
EURO Working Groups are the organizational framework provided by EURO to groups of researchers and practitioners interested in a specific operational research topic. Each EURO Working Group holds at least one meeting per year, organizes sessions at conferences, publishes special issues of OR journals, and organizes conferences or seminars. The European Working Group on Multiple Criteria Decision Aiding (EWG-MCDA), the European Chapter on Combinatorial Optimization (ECCO), the European Working Group on Vehicle Routing and Logistics (VeRoLog), the EURO Working Group on Locational Analysis (EWGLA), the Continuous Optimization Working Group (EUROPT), and the European Working Group on Metaheuristics (EU/ME) are among the most active groups.
EURO organizes educational meetings throughout each year:
- EURO PhD Schools are an instrument to encourage the organization of post-graduate education initiatives for PhD students under a school format.
- EURO Summer/Winter Institutes provide an opportunity for around 20 early stage researchers to meet for about two weeks. Participants present their material, discuss it with others and with a handful of specially invited senior experts in the field, and finally prepare a paper to be considered for inclusion in a feature issue of EJOR.
- ORP³ Conferences are a forum promoting scientific and social exchanges between members of the future generation of Operational Research in academic research. They are annual or bi-annual meetings of early stage OR researchers organized by early stage researchers in an OR group in Europe.
- Speranza, M. G. (2012-10-15). "Association of European Operational Research Societies". Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science. doi:10.1002/9780470400531.eorms1057. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "INTERNATIONAL O.R.: EURO FACES 40". Informs. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "Short History of EURO". Euro-online.org. 2014-10-16. Retrieved 2014-10-16.
- "Publications". EURO - The Association of European Operational Research Societies. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "Prizes and Awards". EURO - The Association of European Operational Research Societies. 2006-07-02. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "EURO-k Conferences". EURO - The Association of European Operational Research Societies. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "EURO Mini Conferences". EURO - The Association of European Operational Research Societies. Retrieved 2014-08-27.
- "EURO Working Groups". EURO - The Association of European Operational Research Societies. Retrieved 2014-08-27.