Gospel of John 1:5-10
|Text||New Testament (except Rev)|
|Now at||Bodleian Library|
|Size||20.5 by 16 cm|
It is believed written in Constantinople at the start of the 12thC during the Comnenian Period. It is unique amongst surviving Greek New Testament manuscripts in that it places author portraits before each epistle, act and gospel, as opposed to just the gospels. This manuscript gives a good example of Greek calligraphy of the 12th century.
The book itself was bound in silver inlaid with ivory and comprises 426 leaves of vellum in quarto (20.5 by 16 cm). It contains Epistula ad Carpianum, the Eusebian Tables, tables of the κεφαλαια, the τιτλοι, numbers of the κεφαλαια at the margin, the Ammonian Sections, but not o references to the Eusebian Canons, subscriptions at the end, στιχοι, and the Nicene Creed all in gold. Synaxarion and Menologion were added by Joasaph, a calligraphist, in 1391, who also added John 8:3-11 at the end of that Gospel.
- Gregory, Caspar René (1908). Die griechischen Handschriften des Neuen Testament. Leipzig: J. C. Hinrichs'sche Buchhandlung. p. 52.
- The harmony of the Gospels. With an account of ancient MSS. and of the various tr. of the Scriptures Oxford University 1863
- Gregory, Caspar René (1900). Textkritik des Neuen Testaments. 1. Leipzig. p. 152.
- It was once believed to have been written in 1391
- Cecelia Meredith,The Illustration of Codex Ebnerianus; Journal of the Warburg and Courtauld Institutes, Vol. 29, (1966)
- p. 304; Thomas Hartwell, An Introduction to the Study of Bibliography; T. Cadell and W. Davies, 1814; Original from the New York Public Library
- Thomas Hartwell Horne, An Introduction to the Critical Study and Knowledge of the Holy Scriptures Published by E. Littell, 1825
- Scrivener, Frederick Henry Ambrose; Edward Miller (1894). A Plain Introduction to the Criticism of the New Testament. 1. London: George Bell & Sons. p. 208.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 138. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- Wisse, Frederik (1982). The Profile Method for the Classification and Evaluation of Manuscript Evidence, as Applied to the Continuous Greek Text of the Gospel of Luke. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 54. ISBN 0-8028-1918-4.
- K. Aland, M. Welte, B. Köster, K. Junack, Kurzgefasste Liste der griechischen Handschriften des Neues Testaments, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, New York 1994, p. 52.