Dangerous (Busta Rhymes song)
|Single by Busta Rhymes|
|from the album When Disaster Strikes|
|B-side||You Won't Tell, I Won't Tell / Coming Off|
18 November 1997 (US)|
30 December 1997 (UK)
CD single |
|Label||Elektra, Asylum, Flipmode|
|Writer(s)||Lawrence Dermer, Trevor Smith, Rashad Smith, Henry Stone, Freddy Stonewall|
|Producer(s)||Armando Colon, Rashad Smith|
|Certification||3x Platinum (RIAA)|
|Busta Rhymes singles chronology|
"Dangerous" is a hip hop song written by Lawrence Dermer, Trevor Smith, Rashad Smith, Henry Stone and Freddy Stonewall for Busta Rhymes second album When Disaster Strikes. The song is the album's fifteenth track, and was released as its second single, peaking at #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. It was nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Rap Solo Performance at the 41st Grammy Awards in 1999, but lost to "Gettin' Jiggy wit It" by Will Smith. The video was directed by Hype Williams.
Music and lyrics
"Dangerous" has a rhythm tempo at 103 BPM. The chorus of the song (This is serious/We could make you delirious/You should have a healthy fear of us/'Cause too much of us is dangerous) was taken from a 1983 Long Island Regional Poison Control Council PSA warning children of the danger of loose prescription medications. The rhythm track was sampled from the 1982 song "E.T. Boogie" by the Extra T's.
The video takes several cues from Lethal Weapon with Busta made to look like Mel Gibson (Riggs) and Spliff Starr to look like Gary Busey (Mr. Joshua). The second verse also references the scene where Riggs is electrocuted, and ends with a confrontation between Busta and himself, this time dressed as Sho'nuff from The Last Dragon.
Formats and track listings
These are the formats and track listings of major single releases of "Dangerous".
- CD single
- "Dangerous" (album version)
- "Dangerous" (instrumental)
- "Dangerous" (a cappella)
- "You Won't Tell, I Won't Tell" (unavailable on album)
- "Coming Off" (unavailable on album)
- "You Won't Tell, I Won't Tell" (instrumental)
- "Coming Off" (instrumental)
- UK CD single
- "Dangerous" (album version)
- "Dangerous" (Soul Society remix)
- "Dangerous" (album dirty version)
- "Dangerous" (Natural Born Chillers remix)
Credits and personnel
- Vocals: Busta Rhymes, Rachelle Weston
- Audio mixing: Dominick Barbera, Busta Rhymes, DJ Scratch, Vinny Nicoletti
- Mixing assistant: Rich Tapper, Floyd Nixon
- Engineer: Vinny Nicoletti
- Assistant engineers: Tom Passetti, Dave Raythatha
Charts and certifications
- Weitner, Sean. "The Long Island Regional Poison Control Council's "Dangerous"". Retrieved 2007-02-22.. The video is available here on YouTube.
- "Dangerous chart statistics". Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- "Dangerous chart statistics on Billboard". Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- "Dangerous chart statistics on Top40-charts.com". Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- "Dangerous chart statistics on allmusic.com". Retrieved 2007-10-29.
- "Billboard Top 100 - 1998". Retrieved 2010-08-28.
- "American single certifications – Busta Rhymes – Dangerous". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "Best-Selling Records of 1998". Billboard. BPI Communications Inc. 111 (5): 75. January 30, 1999. ISSN 0006-2510. Retrieved May 31, 2015.