DiskCryptor main window
|Developer(s)||Anonymous ntldr <ntldr(at)diskcryptor.net>|
1.1.846.118 / 9 July 2014
|Written in||C, Assembly|
|Type||Disk encryption software|
DiskCryptor is a free and open-source full disk encryption system for Microsoft Windows. It allows for the encryption of a PC's entire hard drive or individual partitions – including the ability to encrypt the partition and disk on which the OS is installed.
DiskCryptor was originally designed to replace commercial disk encryption systems such as DriveCrypt Plus Pack and PGP Whole Disk Encryption, and uses either AES-256, Twofish, Serpent or a combination of cascaded algorithms in XTS mode to carry out encryption.
The project was originally started by a former TrueCrypt user and forum member who goes by the name of 'ntldr' (anonymous). It was originally fully compatible with TrueCrypt's container format but has since improved on the format in order to allow data-in-place encryption on Windows XP, to allow the system partition to have exactly the same format as non-system partitions and to support future project plans.
- Support for encryption algorithm AES, Twofish, Serpent, including their combinations.
- Transparent encryption of disk partitions.
- Full support for dynamic disks.
- Support for disk devices with large sector size (important for hardware RAID operation).
- High performance, comparable to efficiency of a non-encrypted system.
- Broad choice in configuration of booting an encrypted OS. Support for various multi-boot options.
- Full support for external storage devices.
- Option to create encrypted CDs and DVDs.
- Full support for encryption of external USB storage devices.
- Automatic mounting of disk partitions and external storage devices.
- Support for hotkeys and optional command-line interface (CLI).
- Open license GNU GPLv3.
For limitations in the current version, as well as other technical information, see official website.
All algorithms are implemented in XTS mode.
- prf HMAC-SHA-512
On an Intel Core 2 Quad (Q6600) CPU data encryption speed amounts to 104 MB/s per core. Crypto-algorithms for the x86 version are implemented in assembly language, the implementation having a maximum number of optimizations for the Intel Core line of processors, however it performs sufficiently fast on any other processors as well. Almost all possible enhancements to improve the performance have been applied such as the AES algorithm code is being dynamically generated with optimization made for the usage of a particular key.
|Operating systems||Service pack||Instruction set architecture|
|Server 2003||SP0–SP2||x86, x64|
|Server 2008||SP0–SP2||x86, x64|
|Server 2008 R2||x64|
|8, 8.1||x86, x64|