Empire of Passion
|The Empire of Passion|
|Directed by||Nagisa Oshima|
|Produced by||Anatole Dauman|
|Music by||Toru Takemitsu|
|Edited by||Keiichi Uraoka|
Oshima Nagisa Production
|Distributed by||Toho Towa|
Empire of Passion (愛の亡霊 Ai no Bōrei) is a 1978 French-Japanese film directed by Nagisa Ōshima. Also released on DVD by Fox Lorber Films in 2000 under the title "In the Realm of Passion" (probably to more easily identify it as a type of indirect sequel to the 1976 film "In the Realm of the Senses" by the same director).
The plot revolves around a young man who has an affair with an older woman. He is very jealous of her husband and decides that they should kill him. One night, after the husband has had plenty of shōchū to drink and is in bed, they strangle him and dump his body down a well. To avert any suspicions, she pretends her husband has gone off to Tokyo to work. For three years the wife and her lover secretly see each other. Finally, suspicions become very strong and people begin to gossip. To make matters worse, her husband's ghost begins to haunt her and the law arrives to investigate her husband's disappearance.
- Tatsuya Fuji - Toyoji
- Kazuko Yoshiyuki - Seki
- Takahiro Tamura - Gisaburo
- Takuzo Kawatani - Inspector Hotta
- Akyoshi Fujiwara
- Masami Hasegawa - Oshin
- Kenzo Kawarazaki
- Tatsuya Kimura
- Eizo Kitamura
- Akiko Koyama - Mother of Landowner
- Osugi - Dancer
- Sumie Sasaki - Odame
- Takaki Sugiura
- Taiji Tonoyama - Toichiro
The film was Japan's submission to the 51st Academy Awards for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, but was not accepted as a nominee. The film was entered into the 1978 Cannes Film Festival, where Oshima won the award for Best Director.
- Cinema of Japan
- List of submissions to the 51st Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Japanese submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- "L' Empire de la passion". BFI Film & Television Database. London: British Film Institute. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "List of Japanese films nominated for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film" (in Japanese). Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan. Retrieved 2008-06-22.
- "Festival de Cannes: Empire of Passion". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-05-10.
- Empire of Passion at AllMovie
- Empire of Passion at the Internet Movie Database
- Empire of Passion at the Japanese Movie Database (Japanese)