Gymnasium Paulinum was established by Ludger the missionary in 797. He had been instructed by Charlemagne in 793 to preach Christianity in north-western Saxony, and subsequently established a monastery in the centre of the former Frankish stronghold of Mimigernaford (also Mimigardeford or Miningarvard), which was later to be known as Münster. He also established a monastic school for future members of the clergy. In 805, when Ludger was appointed Bishop of Münster, the school became a cathedral school. The new "Schola Paulina" was dedicated to St. Paul.
On October 9th, 2007 the Gymnasium Paulinum was awarded the title "School of Europe" ( Europaschule ) as one of the first of 15 schools in the province of North Rhine-Westphalia.
- Heinrich Brüning, Chancellor of Germany from 1930 to 1932
- Bernhard von Galen, prince-bishop of Münster
- Leonard Landois, physiologist
- Hermann Löns, journalist and writer
- Josef Pieper, philosopher
- Hans Tietmeyer, economist