Ifor Leslie Evans
Ifor Leslie Evans (1897–1952) was a Welsh academic and Principal of the University College of Wales Aberystwyth from 1934 until 1952.
The son of Welsh musician William John Evans, Ivor Leslie Evans received his education at Wycliffe College, Stonehouse before going on to study in France and Germany. While in Germany he was interred in Ruhleben prison for the duration of the First World War. It was here that he learned the Welsh language, and changed his name from Ivor to Ifor.
Following the war, and a brief foray into the Swansea coal trade, he went up to St John's College, Cambridge, where he took a first in history and economics. He was subsequently elected the Whewell Scholar of International law. While a Lecturer and Fellow at St John's from 1923 until 1934, he sat on the League of Nations commission reporting on the economic circumstances of Austria, and also served on the staff of the Economist.
In 1934, he succeeded Sir Henry Stuart-Jones as Principal of the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. During his eighteen years as principal - the second longest term to date - the College saw many developments. The College debt that he inherited was reduced substantially, and attracted benefactors. It was also during his tenure that plans for building on the Penglais campus were realised: Pantycelyn opened in 1952, and a block in the Penbryn halls is named in his honour. He is also credited with strengthening relations between the staff and students at the College. He was also actively involved with the University of Wales, serving as Vice-Chancellor on three occasions, and chairing the Press board and estates committee.
Sir Henry Stuart-Jones
|Principal of the University College of Wales Aberystwyth
| Succeeded by|