|Industry||Online dating service|
|Marc Simoncini, CEO|
|Revenue||133,6 M € (Europe, 2008)|
Meetic is an online dating service founded in November 2001. It became publicly quoted in October 2005. Meetic was founded by Marc Simoncini.
According to JupiterResearch, Meetic is the largest online dating service in Europe. The service had 525,000 subscribers in 2007. By February 2009, when the company acquired the European activities of Match.com, it grew to have more than 30 million subscribers.
Meetic was acquired by IAC in 2013.
In December 2012, Meetic Group bought Massive Media, the parent company of Twoo.com. Twoo features matchmaking algorithms that connect users to others based on location and interests. Users are spread worldwide, the site is available in 38 languages. Twoo is also available as an Android, iPhone and Windows Phone app.
In December 2013 the firm launched a new product: the Stepout application where people can find out who likes them nearby.
Reports of ethical and legal issues
TechCrunch reported accusations of Twoo forwarding invitations to its users' email contacts using spamming methods. TechCrunch did a follow-up a year later and maintained that Twoo was still following the same spamming methods as it had reported the previous year. Users of Spring.me, a social questions-and-answers service, were automatically migrated to Twoo's dating service, creating "shell accounts" for the dating site from their Q&A site accounts; this move, along with accusations of fake accounts, has raised ethical and legal questions about the company's conduct.
- Sage, Adam (2007-10-18). "For French and internet dating, what's love got to do with it?". The Times. Archived from the original on 2009-06-09. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- Fishbein, Jennifer (2007-10-05). "Europe's Love Affair with Meetic". BusinessWeek. Archived from the original on 2009-06-09. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- "Marc Simoncini annonce le mariage de Meetic avec Match.com". Zonebourse.com. Performance Bourse. 2009-02-20. Archived from the original on 2010-04-07. Retrieved 2010-04-07.
- Reuben Dating firms fight for UK hearts, Anthony (2007-07-18). "Dating firms fight for UK hearts". BBC. Archived from the original on 2009-06-09. Retrieved June 9, 2009.
- Match.com increases its stake in Meetic SA from 80.8% to 87.5% and Announces Planned Public Offer for all Outstanding Shares
- "Meetic (IAC) buys Massive Media, the company behind Netlog and Badoo rival Twoo, for $25m". www.thenextweb.com. Retrieved 23 December 2012.
- "Meetic purchases Belgian dating site Twoo.com to go international". www.rudebaguette.com. Retrieved 31 December 2012.
- Billy Gallagher (August 3, 2012). "Users Claim Twoo Is Spamming Their Friends, Social Network Says It's "Just Not Clear Enough"". TechCrunch. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Billy Gallagher (August 3, 2013). "A Year Of Spam: The Twoo Experience". TechCrunch. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Andy Barratt (August 18, 2015). "Twoo, the dating site you didn't ask to join". Geek Scot. Retrieved June 13, 2016.
- Owen Williams (December 23, 2015). "Getting emails from a dating site you never signed up for? Twoo probably used your identity". TheNextWeb. Retrieved June 13, 2016.