Michael Gordon Fulford, CBE, FBA, (born 1948 Hampshire) is Professor of Archaeology at the University of Reading, He studied Archaeology and Latin at Southampton University, where he was also awarded a doctorate. Between 1971 and 1974, he was employed as the personal research assistant of Professor Sir Barry Cunliffe and was afterwards appointed lecturer and later also reader at the University of Reading. He received a personal professorship in 1988 and became professor of the Chair of Archaeology at the university when it was established in 1993. He has also been Dean of the Faculty of Letters and Social Sciences and Pro-Vice-Chancellor (1998–2004).
Elected in 1977, he is a Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London and has served on both the Council and the Executive and Research Committees of the Society. In 1994 Michael Fulford was elected a Fellow of the British Academy. He is currently the Honorary Treasurer of the Academy.
Between 1994 and 1998, he was editor for the academic journal Britannia. Fulford served as the President of the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies from 2005-2008, and is currently a vice president. For the period between 2003 and 2007, he was granted the Leverhulme Major Research Fellowship. Fulford has served as chairman of the Roman Research Trust since 2009.
Fulford has published widely on subjects relating to Romano-British and Roman archaeology, especially with regards to the dynamics of towns, landscape archaeology and the economy. He is probably best known for a series of digs conducted since 1974 at the site of the former Iron Age and Romano-British town of Silchester (Calleva Atrebatum), Hampshire.
Fulford was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2011 New Year Honours. In 2013, a supplement of the Journal of Roman Archaeology was published in Fulford's honour. Fulford was appointed a Commissioner of English Heritage (now Historic England) in 2014. Fulford won the 2015 Archaeologist of the Year award at the Current Archaeology Awards, as voted for by the general public. The awards were announced on 27 February 2015 as part of the annual Current Archaeology Live! conference.
- (2015), with N. Holbrook. The Towns of Roman Britain. The Contribution of Commercial Archaeology since 1990. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Britannia monograph series 27. London.
- (2013), with E. Durham. Seeing Red: New Economic and Social Perspectives on Gallo-Roman Terra Sigillata. University of London, Institute of Classical Studies, London.
- (2011), with A. Clarke. Silchester: City in Transition. The Mid-Roman Occupation of Insula IX c. A.D. 125-250/300. A report on excavations undertaken since 1997. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Britannia monograph series 25. London.
- (2006), with A. Clarke and H. Eckardt. Life and Labour in Late Roman Silchester: Excavations in Insula IX from 1997. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Britannia monograph series 22. London.
- (2006), with A.B. Powell, R. Entwhistle, F. Raymond. Iron Age and Romano-British Settlements and Landscapes of Salisbury Plain.Wessex Archaeology Monograph 20. Wessex Archaeology. Salisbury.
- (2000), with Jane Timby. Late Iron Age and Roman Silchester: Excavations on the Site of the Forum-Basilica, 1977, 1980-86. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies.
- (1989) The Silchester Amphitheatre: Excavations of 1979-85. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Britannia monograph series 10. London.
- (1984), with Mark Corney. Silchester: excavations on the defences, 1974-80. Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Britannia monograph series. London.
- (1975). New Forest Roman pottery: manufacture and distribution, with a corpus of the pottery types. Oxford.
- Contributors list in A Companion to Roman Britain, ed. Malcolm Todd. Oxford et al., 2004.
- Romanitas: essays on Roman archaeology in honour of Sheppard Frere, ed. R.J.A. Wilson. Oxford: Oxbow, 2006. p. xxi.
- Visions of antiquity: the Society of Antiquaries of London, 1707-2007, ed. Susan Pearce. London: Society of Antiquaries of London, 2007. p. 436. ISBN 978-0-85431-287-0.
- British Academy Fellows Archive, British Academy. Accessed January 18, 2010.
- Officers of the Academy, British Academy. Accessed January 18, 2010
- "About the Society > Officers". Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- "Roman Research Trust". Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- The London Gazette: . 31 December 2010.
- Eckardt, H; Rippon, S (2013). Living and Working in the Roman World, Essays in Honour of Michael Fulford. Portsmouth, Rhode Island: Journal of Roman Archaeology Supplementary Series, 95. Journal of Roman Archaeology.
- "Culture Secretary appoints Commissioners to English Heritage". Gov.uk. Retrieved 10 August 2015.
- Current Archaeology Press Release. Accessed March 09, 2015.