He is one of the most significant figures of American narratology (theory of narrative), being regarded as a prominent representative of its Structuralist or "classic" branch.
- The Later Style of Henry James (1972)
- Story and Discourse: Narrative Structure in fiction and Film (1978)
- Michelangelo Antonioni, or, the Surface of the World (1986)
- Coming to Terms. The Rhetoric of Narrative in Fiction and Film (1990)
- Reading Narrative Fiction (1993)
- Michelangelo Antonioni: The Complete Films (2004) with Paul Duncan
- "Remembering Seymour Chatman, professor emeritus of rhetoric and film at UC Berkeley". Berkeleyside. 18 December 2015. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Amazon.com: Seymour Chatman: Books". www.amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-06-08.