Tom Clark (poet)
Tom Clark (born March 1, 1941) is an American poet, editor and biographer. Clark was born on the Near West Side of Chicago and educated at the University of Michigan where he received a Hopwood Award for poetry. On March 22, 1968, he married Angelica Heinegg, at St. Mark’s Church, New York City. Currently (as of 2013) residing in California, Tom Clark's recent books of poetry are Light & Shade: New and Selected Poems (Coffee House, 2006) and Threnody (effing press, 2006).
Clark served as poetry editor of The Paris Review from 1963 to 1973 and published numerous volumes of poetry with Black Sparrow Press, including a verse biography: Junkets on a Sad Planet: Scenes from the Life of John Keats (1994). His literary essays and reviews have appeared in The New York Times, Times Literary Supplement, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle, London Review of Books, and many other journals; some of his essays on contemporary poetry have been collected in The Poetry Beat: Reviewing the Eighties. From 1987 to 2008 he taught Poetics at New College of California.
Currently residing in California, Clark remains an active writer producing poetry, fiction, and nonfiction. In 1991, he published a biography of Charles Olson, one of his poetic mentors, entitled Charles Olson: The Allegory of a Poet’s Life (Norton: 1991).
Clark's biographies of literary figures of the 20th century include:
- Late Returns: A Memoir of Ted Berrigan,
- Jack Kerouac: A Biography,
- Robert Creeley and the Genius of the American Common Place,
- Charles Olson: The Allegory of a Poet’s Life, and
- Edward Dorn: A World of Difference
- The exile of Céline. 1986.
- biographical data on Clark taken from contributor's notes section at The Holiday Album: Greeting Card Poems For All Occasions feature at Jacket Magazine, edited by Elaine Equi, with a poem by Clark
- Tom Clark Author Page at the Jacket Magazine website
- Works by or about Tom Clark in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- The World Begins: A visit with Tom Clark
- Tom Clark Author Page at Jacket Magazine
- Tom Clark's Blog
- Tom Clark, 1941-. American author Washington University Libraries bio