World Network of Biosphere Reserves in Africa
Under UNESCO’s Man and the Biosphere Programme (MAB), there are 70 biosphere reserves recognized as part of the World Network of Biosphere Reserves in Africa as of 2016. These are distributed across 28 countries. While biosphere reserves in Sub-Saharan Africa are organised in the AfriMAB regional network, biosphere reserves in Northern African countries belong to ArabMAB, UNESCO's regional MAB network for Arab countries (see World Network of Biosphere Reserves in the Arab States for reserves in these countries).
Below is the list of biosphere reserves in Africa, organized by country/territory, along with the year these were designated as part of the World Network of Biosphere Reserves.
- Yangambi (1976)
- Luki (1976)
- Lufira (1982)
- Impassa-Makokou (1983)
- Boloma Bijagós (1996)
- Mount Kenya (1978)
- Mount Kulal (1978)
- Malindi-Watamu (1979)
- Kiunga (1980)
- Amboseli (1991)
- Mount Elgon (2003)
- Mananara Nord National Park (1990)
- Sahamalaza-Iles Radama (2001)
- Littoral de Toliara (2003)
- Boucle du Baoulé (1982)
- Sénégal River Delta (2005, together with Senegal)
- Macchabee/Bel Ombre (1977)
- Arganeraie (1998)
- Oasis du sud marocain (2000)
- Intercontinental Biosphere Reserve of the Mediterranean (together with Spain) (2006)
- Atlas Cedar (2016)
- Volcans (1983)
- Island of Príncipe (2012)
- Samba Dia (1979)
- Delta du Saloum (1980)
- Niokolo-Koba (1981)
- Sénégal River Delta (2005, together with Mauritania)
- Ferlo (2012)
- Kogelberg Nature Reserve (1998)
- Cape West Coast (2000)
- Waterberg (2001)
- Kruger to Canyons Biosphere (2001)
- Cape Winelands Biosphere Reserve (2007)
- Vhembe Biosphere Reserve (2009) (ref Vhembe)
- Gouritz Cluster Biosphere Reserve (2015)
- Magaliesberg Biosphere Reserve (2015)
- Oti-Keran / Oti-Mandouri (2011)
- Middle Zambezi (2010)
- "Luki". UNESCO. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "UNESCO announces selection of 13 new Biosphere Reserves". UNESCO MAB 2010. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Biosphere Reserve Sheka (Ethiopia)". UNESCO MAB 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- "Omo". UNESCO. Retrieved 21 July 2016.
- "Biosphere Reserve Ferlo (Senegal)". UNESCO MAB 2012. Retrieved 20 September 2012.
- UNESCO list of biosphere reserves in Africa
- Database of the UNESCO World Network of Biosphere Reserves
- AfriMAB website
- ArabMAB website