Ari Arthur Hoogenboom|
November 28, 1927
Richmond Hill, New York, U.S.
October 25, 2014 86) (aged|
New York City, New York, U.S.
|Occupation||Academic, educator, historian|
Atlantic Union College|
|Spouse||Olive Youngberg (August 28, 1949-October 25, 2014; his death); 3 children|
Ari Arthur Hoogenboom (November 28, 1927 – October 25, 2014) was professor emeritus of history at Brooklyn College at the City University of New York. He was a scholar of the Gilded Age, particularly in the life and Presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes.
Hoogenboom grew up in the Queens borough of New York City, where he graduated from John Adams High School. He later earned a bachelor's degree from Atlantic Union College. There, he met and married his wife Olive, with whom he would later collaborate on several books. He went to graduate school at Columbia University, where he earned his MA and PhD, and was a student of David Herbert Donald. He taught history from 1956-58 at the University of Texas at El Paso, and from 1958-68 at Pennsylvania State University. He was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship in 1965. From 1968 to 1998 he taught at Brooklyn College.
After his retirement from Brooklyn College, Hoogenboom authored Rutherford B. Hayes: One of the Good Colonels, and Gustavus Vasa Fox of the Union Navy: A Biography, about Assistant Secretary of the Navy Gustavus Fox. He worked with his wife Olive on a book that she was writing, Washington Women: The Woodbury Sisters.
Hoogenboom died in 2014, aged 86, from complications of mesothelioma.
|Outlawing the Spoils: A History of the Civil Service Reform Movement, 1865-1883||1961||U.S. Civil Service Reform|
|The Enterprising Colonials: Society on the Eve of the Revolution (with William S. Sachs)||1965|
|History of Pennsylvania (with Phillip S. Klein)||1973||History of Pennsylvania|
|A History of the ICC: From Panacea to Palliative (with Olive Hoogenboom)||1976||Interstate Commerce Commission|
|The Presidency of Rutherford B. Hayes||1988||University Press of Kansas||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Rutherford B. Hayes: Warrior & President||1995||University Press of Kansas||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Rutherford B. Hayes: One of the Good Colonels||1999||State House Press||Rutherford B. Hayes|
|Gustavus Vasa Fox of the Union Navy: A Biography||2008||Johns Hopkins University Press||Gustavus Fox|
|The Gilded Age||The Gilded Age|
- "Former Faculty". CUNY Brooklyn History Department. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "C-SPAN Booknotes - Ari Hoogenboom: Rutherford B. Hayes: Warrior & President". Booknotes. July 2, 1995. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Fellows". John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "ARI HOOGENBOOM Obituary". The New York Times. October 28, 2014. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- Booknotes interview with Hoogenboom on Rutherford B. Hayes: Warrior & President, July 2, 1995
- Life Portrait of Rutherford B. Hayes from C-SPAN's American Presidents: Life Portraits series, which heavily featured Hoogenboom