Type of site
|Subscription-based service for online legal research|
Bloomberg Law is a subscription-based service for online legal research. The service, which Bloomberg L.P. introduced in 2009, provides legal content, proprietary company information and news information to attorneys, law students, and other legal professionals. More specifically, this commercial legal and business technology platform integrates Bloomberg L.P. news with Bloomberg BNA's primary and secondary legal content and business development tools.
Creation and services
Bloomberg Law's web-based platform was first released under a pilot program in late 2009. According to the Financial Times, "the unit forms part of the data provider's drive to diversify beyond the banks and investment groups that make up the core customers for its eponymous terminals." In 2010, the service was formally launched.
Prior to the creation of Bloomberg Law, two services, LexisNexis and Westlaw, comprised the majority of the legal research market. Bloomberg L.P. sought to separate itself from the competition by offering an integration of the Bloomberg company and financial data with legal research. Bloomberg Law combines content from Bloomberg’s global news network, legal analysis, court dockets, legal filings and reports from Bloomberg legal analysts as well as business news and information. Attorneys can also draw upon stock charts, search patent histories and find information about relevant judges and attorneys. The service is priced to include all features under a fixed monthly fee.
In 2011, Bloomberg L.P. purchased Bureau of National Affairs (BNA), and it integrated legal materials from BNA into Bloomberg Law.
According to Bloomberg BNA, the platform was developed to help law firms grow their top line revenue, provide counsel by getting answers quickly and efficiently, and maintain and increase their profitability. Features include Litigation and Dockets, Legal and Financial Analytics, Business Development Center, Practice Tools and News and Law Reports.
Growth and expansion
In October 2010, Lou Andreozzi, a former chief executive officer of LexisNexis North American Legal Markets, joined Bloomberg Law as chairman and Larry Thompson, a former global marketing officer of LexisNexis, joined as chief operating officer. In September 2011, Bloomberg acquired legal publisher Bureau of National Affairs (BNA) to bolster its proprietary data and content. Shortly before its acquisition of BNA, Bloomberg Law announced it would become the exclusive sponsor of SCOTUSblog, a site providing public access to U.S.Supreme Court coverage.
In September 2012, Greg McCaffery was named chief executive officer of Bloomberg Law. McCaffery had previously served as chief executive officer and president of Bloomberg BNA. In January 2014, Bloomberg BNA, a Bloomberg L.P. subsidiary, took over day-to-day operations of Bloomberg Law. In July 2014, David Perla assumed the role of president of Bloomberg BNA's Legal Division and President of Bloomberg Law.
Between 2014 and 2015, Bloomberg Law expanded and debuted features including dockets covering state, federal, and select international court cases, financial and legal analytics, and practice-specific products for corporate transactions, privacy and data security, and banking.
- Dockets: Bloomberg Law Dockets cover state, federal, and select international court cases. Users also have access to Breaking Complaints, unlimited alerts and searches.
- Analytics: There are two major sets of analytics available on Bloomberg Law: financial and legal. Bloomberg Law News Search houses over 50,000 news wires, while the Business Development Center pulls together business news searches to provide insights into M&A rumors, bankruptcy rumors, recent attorney moves, and other criteria.
- Practice-specific products:
- Bloomberg Law: Corporate Transactions, released in 2015, brings proprietary big data to the deal drafting process.
- Bloomberg Law: Privacy & Data Security, released in 2015, combines proprietary data, laws, regulations, and secondary sources for state, federal, and international privacy laws.
- Bloomberg Law: Banking, introduced in 2014, provides real-time banking news and analysis, primary legal content such as laws, regulations, and cases, and tools.
- "Bloomberg Hangs New Shingle". MarketWatch. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- "New Bloomberg Law App Provides Seamless Access To Personalized Content", PR Newswire (Feb 21, 2014).
- "Bloomberg Law Launches Business Development Center", Reuters (November 29, 2012).
- Mary Ann Neary and George D. Wilson, "Bloomberg Law, the newcomer in legal research, meets academic users", AALL Spectrum (March 2009).
- "Bloomberg Law Puts BNA Leader, Greg McCaffery, as New CEO", 3 Geeks and a Law Blog (September 4, 2012).
- "Bloomberg to Compete with Lexis and Westlaw". Above the Law (blog). Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Bloomberg Law's Discounts Pose Threat". Financial Times. Retrieved April 3, 2013.
- "Can Bloomberg Law Compete With Westlaw and LexisNexis?". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Bloomberg LP Lays Down the Law". Crain's New York Business. Retrieved June 19, 2012.
- Douglas, Danielle (August 25, 2011). "Bloomberg Snags BNA for $990M". Capital Business Blog (of The Washington Post). Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- Rodgers, Loren (September 15, 2011). "BNA to Be Acquired by Bloomberg". The Employee Ownership Update. National Center for Employee Ownership. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Press release (April 2, 2012). "Bloomberg Law Expands with Integration of BNA Content". Bureau of National Affairs. Retrieved June 20, 2013.
- "Bloomberg BNA Announces Support Of The Legal Aid Society Of The District Of Columbia -- Offers Complimentary Access To Bloomberg Law Technology Platform".
- "Bloomberg Law Overview", Bloomberg Law.
- Becker, Amanda (October 25, 2010). "Legal Briefs: Bloomberg Law Fills Pair of Leadership Positions with Former LexisNexis Executives". The Washington Post. Retrieved February 2, 2011.
- "Bloomberg's $990M Bid for BNA Succeeds". Yahoo! News. Retrieved February 29, 2012.
- "Bloomberg Law Sponsors SCOTUSblog". Politico. Retrieved October 19, 2011.
- "Greg McCaffery Named CEO of Bloomberg Law". Business Wire. Retrieved September 21, 2012.
- "Bloomberg Law to Rebrand as Bloomberg BNA", Legal Tech News (July 30, 2013).
- "Executive Team: David Perla". Bloomberg BNA.
- Robert Ambrogi, "Pangea3 Cofounder Named President of Bloomberg BNA Legal", LawSites (July 14, 2014).
- Amanda Ciccatelli, "Bloomberg BNA launches Bloomberg Law: Corporate Transactions", Inside Counsel (June 8, 2015).
- "Docket Searching: Easier Than Ever on Bloomberg Law". Jameson Law Library Blog.
- "Is this the Next Big Thing in Legal IT, as Bloomberg launches Bloomberg Law: Corporate Transactions", Legal Insider (May 19, 2015).
- "The Future Of Law And Technology: An Interview With Bloomberg BNA's David Perla". Above the Law.
- "Bloomberg Law Unbundles: “Bloomberg Law: Banking” Product Offers New Features and Signals New Vertical Market Strategy", Dewey B Strategic (November 19, 2014).
- Official website
- Bloomberg.com – Official Bloomberg L.P. website
- Hoover's Bloomberg L.P. Company Profile
- Bloomberg BNA