Butterflies (1993 film)
|Directed by||Rajiv Anchal|
|Produced by||Menaka Sureshkumar|
|Written by||A. K. Sajan|
S. P. Venkatesh
|Edited by||N. Gopalakrishnan|
Surya Cini Arts|
Butterflies is a 1993 Malayalam-language Indian romantic comedy film directed by Rajiv Anchal, starring Mohanlal, Aishwarya and Nassar in lead roles. Aishwarya plays the role of twin sisters in this movie.
The movie was produced by Menaka Sureshkumar under the banner of Revathi Kalamandhir and was distributed by Surya Cini Arts And Sudev Release. The film was shot in Bangalore, India after the originally planned film Australia was dropped.
Prince (Mohanlal) is a race car driver and the son of industrialist Bharathan Menon(K. P. Ummer) and Sreedevi Menon (Sukumari). He lives a happy-go-lucky life style spending time racing cars, entertaining his nephews in his farm house and hanging out with his close friend Vettikkal Sadashivan (Jagadish). He is also involved in fights with the local goons in Bangalore which lands him in trouble with local Police. His brothers Jayan Menon IAS (Ramu) and Dr. Balan Menon (N. F. Varghese) though openly criticizes him comes to his aid to release him from Police station. His father disapproves his lifestyle and is trying to find a suitable Alliance for him.
Sadasivan introduces Prince to his relative Pavithran(Nandhu) who seeks help in kidnapping his girl friend. In a comedy of errors, Prince and Sadasivan sedate and kidnap another girl with the same name(Aishwarya). On realizing the mistakes next morning, Prince drops the girl back at her hostel. The ladies' hostel matron does not allow Anju to continue her stay there after she vanishes at night. Anju goes back to Prince's farm house and becomes difficult for Prince and Sadasivan to handle. Prince's entire family comes to know about Anju living in the farm house and they desert Prince.
One morning, Sadasivan and Prince finds an obituary in newspaper with the photo of Anju. They trace the news reporter responsible for the obituary. The news reporter(K. B. Ganesh Kumar) and his wife(Rudra) reveal that Anju is the daughter of Colonel Devan Nambiar(Nassar) and that the dead girl was her twin sister, Manju. Two years ago in Ooty, Manju was raped by a few guys taker her father as a hostage. After that, she killed herself in front of her father. Later, Major Devan Nambiar killed her daughter's rapists and he was sentenced to death by the court. Anju plans to commit suicide at the same time her father is executed and Prince tries to save her.
- Mohanlal as Prince Menon
- Jagadish as Vettikkal Sadashivan
- Aishwarya as Anju Nambiar and Manju Nambiar
- Nassar as Colonel Devan Nambiar
- Prem Kumar as Dineshan, Member of Parliament
- N. F. Varghese as Balan Menon
- Ramu as Jayan Menon
- Maniyanpilla Raju as Krishnan Eradi
- Kalpana as Parukkutty
- K. P. Ummer as Bharathan Menon
- Sukumari as Sreedevi Menon
- Nandhu as Pavithran
- K. B. Ganesh Kumar as Das
- Cinematography: J. Williams
- Editing: N. Gopalakrishnan
- Makeup: P. V. Sankar, Salim
- Costumes: Mahi, Murali
- Choreography: Suchithra
- Stunts: Pazhaniraj
- Advertisement: Radhakrishnan
- Processing: Gemini Colour Lab
- Stills: Suresh Merlin
- Effects: Murukesh
- Sound mixing: Balasubramani
- PRO: Vazhoor Jose
- Production controller: Kalliyoor Sasi
- Outdoors: Meriland
- Liaison: Roy P. Mathew, Sudheer
- Associate director: M. A. Venu
- Executive producer: Sandeep Senan
The movie has 6 songs composed by Raveendran and written by K. Jayakumar. The songs were distributed by Lahari.
- Songs list
- Aaha Manoranjini: M. G. Sreekumar
- Minnaminni koodum thedi: Unni Menon, K. S. Chithra
- Kanyasudha: M. G. Sreekumar, Sujatha Mohan
- Pon Thidambu: Mohanlal, Raveendran, Pradeep
- Koottinilam kili: Unni Menon, K. S. Chithra
- Paal nilavile: S. P. Balasubrahmanyam
- Scenes from shelved film Australia is used in song Minnaminni koodum thedi
- "The Silver Screen Jinx". newindianexpress. 27 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-29.