Ceylon Rifle Regiment
|Ceylon Rifle Regiment|
|Active||1795 - 1873|
|Part of||British Army|
|Garrison/HQ||RHQ - Rifle Green, Colombo|
Ceylon Rifle Regiment (CRR) was a regular native regiment formed by the British in Ceylon. Its history goes back to 1795 when five independent companies of Malays were transferred from Dutch to HEIC service. Since then the regiment under different names fought for the British in the Kandyan War and the Uva Rebellion of 1818.
The Ceylon Rifle Regiment saw action in the Matale Rebellion in 1848. Since it served no practical application it was disbanded in 1873.
- The regiment's officers' mess is now known as Visumpaya.
- The regiment's barracks, known as the Rifle Barracks, after being abandoned for a long time has been refurbished and in 2007 turned into the National Defence Services’ School, Colombo.