Coln St. Aldwyns
|Coln St. Aldwyns|
The Malt House
Coln St. Aldwyns
Coln St. Aldwyns shown within Gloucestershire
|OS grid reference||SP145053|
|Civil parish||Coln St. Aldwyns|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||South West England|
The designation "St. Aldwyns" (Culna Sancti Aylwini) is attested from the 12th century, and differentiates the village from Coln Rogers and Coln St. Dennis, situated further along the River Coln. In 1086 in the Domesday book only a single undifferentiated "Culne" is recorded. The name presumably indicates that the church in the village was originally dedicated to St Aylwin, taken to be a form of St Æthelwine, which later became St Aldwyn. At some point between 1535 and 1700 the dedication of the church was changed to St John the Baptist (specifically, to his beheading). The church, in the very south of the parish, was mostly built in the late 12th and early 13th centuries with extensive 19th-century renovations, and is protected as a Grade II* listed building. It is now in the charge of a team ministry alongside neighbouring parishes.
Coln St. Aldwyns is part of the Coln Valley ward of the district of Cotswold and is currently represented by Councillor Raymond Theodoulou, a member of the Conservative Party. Coln St. Aldwyns is part of the parliamentary constituency of Cotswold, represented in the House of Commons by Conservative MP Geoffrey Clifton-Brown. It is part of the South West England constituency of the European Parliament.
- "Parish population 2011.Retrieved 25 March 2015".
- "Coln St Aldwyns Parish Council". Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- A. D. Mills (2011), A Dictionary of British Place Names, Oxford University Press
- Coln St Aldwyn Historical Gazetteer of England's Place-Names. Data from A. H. Smith (1964), The Place-Names of Gloucestershire, Part 1 (EPNS 38), Cambridge. Accessed 2016-02-02
- Coln (St Aldwyns), Open Domesday
- see eg 13th century charter, in William H. Hart (1863), Historia et cartularium Monasterii Sancti Petri Gloucestriae, Volume 1, p. 257
- eg in "Coln St. Aldwyns", in A History of the County of Gloucester: Volume 7, ed. N. M. Herbert (Victoria County History series, Oxford, 1981), pp. 44-55; via British History Online
- St John the Baptist, Coln St Aldwyn, Church of England website
- Listing text for the Church of St John the Baptist, Church Road, Coln St Aldwyns, English Heritage; via British Listed Buildings website
- "Cotswold Committee Management System (CMIS) > Councillors". www.cmis.cotswold.gov.uk. Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Cotswold - Constituency - Conservative Party". Conservative Party. Retrieved 2008-04-28.