Congress Center reflecting the Portland Hilton Hotel
Location within Portland, Oregon
Orbanco Building (1980–89)|
Security Pacific Plaza (1989–94)
1001 Fifth Avenue (1994–2001)
1001 SW Fifth Avenue|
|Coordinates||45°30′59″N 122°40′47″W / 45.5165°N 122.6796°WCoordinates: 45°30′59″N 122°40′47″W / 45.5165°N 122.6796°W|
|Roof||97.84 m (321.0 ft)|
|Design and construction|
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill|
Yost Grube Hall PC
Congress Center (formerly the Orbanco Building and Security Pacific Plaza) is an office building completed in 1980 in Portland, Oregon. It is currently the ninth tallest building in the city. The building's current name dates to January 2002.
Construction began in 1978 and was completed in 1980. It was named the Orbanco Building, for its largest tenant, Orbanco Inc., which at the time of groundbreaking was set to lease around 30 percent of the space. That company's two largest subsidiaries, Oregon Bank (established in 1887) and Northwest Acceptance Corporation, were set to be headquartered in the building. Oregon Bank moved to the new building from another downtown location in March 1980. The building earned Gold Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification from the U.S. Green Building Council in 2012 for its sustainability.
The firm of Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) designed what is now Congress Center, with reflective dark glass that contrasts with the mostly white or lighter colored architecture common in Portland's architectural history. However, the highly reflective surface of Congress Center's glass curtain walls reflect all the nearby buildings. Most notable are 1000 Broadway, the Portland Building and Multnomah County Courthouse.
The current name is the fourth name the building has carried. Opened in 1980 as the Orbanco Building, it was renamed Security Pacific Plaza in April 1989, as the building housed the Oregon headquarters of Security Pacific Bank, which had acquired Oregon Bank in 1987. Security Pacific was taken over by Bank of America in 1992, and in 1994 Security Pacific Plaza was renamed "1001 Fifth Avenue", a condensed version of the building's address. That name gave way to the current one, Congress Center, in January 2002. This name is taken from the former Congress Hotel, located on the site from 1912 until 1977. Terracotta arches from the Congress Hotel were restored for use as an entry to a lower level restaurant.
- Congress Center at Emporis
- "Congress Center". SkyscraperPage.
- Stout, Heidi J. (January 4, 2002). "It's One Main Place, but it's not Two Main Place". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- "Construction begins for Orbanco building". The Oregonian. June 2, 1978. p. F7.
- "Bank moves to new home" (March 23, 1980). The Sunday Oregonian, p. E8.
- "100-Year Club singles out Oregon Bank" (April 30, 1987). The Oregonian, p. E16.
- Culverwell, Wendy (October 4, 2012). "Umpqua Bank Plaza earns LEED Gold certification". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved October 4, 2012.
- Sinovic, Steve (June 27, 2004). "Strategies diverge on how to name buildings". Portland Business Journal. Retrieved July 18, 2012.
- Hunt, Phil (April 15, 1989). "Chen, Casurella capture scholarship auditions". The Oregonian. p. C8.
- Blackmun, Maya (May 27, 1992). "Merger will cut 100 jobs at banks". The Oregonian. p. D6.
- Media related to Congress Center (Portland, Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons