Modjadjiskloof shown within Limpopo
|Coordinates: 23°42′S 30°08′E / 23.700°S 30.133°ECoordinates: 23°42′S 30°08′E / 23.700°S 30.133°E|
|• Total||2.99 km2 (1.15 sq mi)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
|Racial makeup (2011)|
|• Black African||47.4%|
|First languages (2011)|
|• Northern Sotho||23.3%|
|Postal code (street)||0835|
Village 24 km north of Tzaneen. Surveyed in 1919 and proclaimed in 1920, it is administered by a village management board. The name, Afrikaans for ‘Devil’s ravine’, was possibly given by virtue of the rugged, awe inspiring aspect, or because of the difficulty with which laden wagons trekked through it in the rainy season. The railway station was called Modjadji in 1914 but was later renamed. The Sunland Baobab tree is located nearby.
Duiwelskloof was renamed Modjadjiskloof on June 14, 2004 in honor of the Rain Queen,who still remains the only ruling queen in South Africa.Modjadji, hereditary ruler of the Balobedu people of the area.
- "Main Place Modjadjiskloof". Census 2011.
- "Dictionary of Southern African Place Names (Public Domain)". Human Science Research Council. p. 144.