|Chicago White Sox|
Born: May 18, 1991|
Carolina, Puerto Rico
|September 5, 2015, for the Cleveland Indians|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2015 season)
|Earned run average||0.00|
|Representing Puerto Rico|
|World Baseball Classic|
|2013 San Francisco||Team|
Soto attended Advanced Central College High School in Carolina, Puerto Rico. The Detroit Tigers selected Soto in the 21st round of the 2009 MLB draft. In 2010, the Tigers traded Soto to the Cleveland Indians for Jhonny Peralta.
The Indians invited Soto to spring training as a non-roster invitee in 2013. He also played for the Puerto Rican national baseball team in the 2013 World Baseball Classic where they lost to the Dominican Republic national baseball team in the championship game 3-0.
In 2015, Soto pitched for the Columbus Clippers of the Class AAA International League. Soto appeared in 46 games for Columbus, going 2-1 with a 2.68 ERA while striking out 51 in 53.2 innings. Following the conclusion of the Triple-A season, the Indians purchased Soto's contract on September 4, 2015 and added him to the major-league roster. Soto made his debut the next day against Detroit, retiring Tyler Collins on a single pitch, the only batter he faced. Soto made 6 appearances for Cleveland down the stretch, not giving up a run in 3.1 innings.
On April 11, 2016, the Indians traded Soto to the Chicago Cubs for cash considerations, with Kyle Schwarber being transferred to the 60-day disabled list to make room on the roster. Soto spent 2016 with the Triple-A Iowa Cubs, where he posted a 1-3 record with a 5.14 ERA in 33 appearances. On October 22, Soto was designated for assignment, once again trading places on the roster with Schwarber as he was making an unexpected attempt to return to the Cubs during the postseason. Four days later, Soto was claimed off waivers by the Oakland Athletics.
On November 7, 2016, Soto was claimed off waivers by the Chicago White Sox.
- Northeast Ohio. "How about Russell Branyan adding some muscle as Tribe DH? Hey, Hoynsie!". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- Storm, Stephanie (July 15, 2012). "Aeros' Giovanni Soto pitches a no-hitter against Altoona in 2-1 victory".
- Pentis, Andrew (July 15, 2012). "Akron lefty Soto no-hits Altoona".
- 01/24/2013 6:24 PM ET (2013-01-24). "Indians invite five from player development system | indians.com: News". Cleveland Indians. MLB. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- Jeff Roberson, Associated Press. "Cleveland Indians invite 5 minor leaguers to big-league spring training". cleveland.com. Retrieved 2013-01-30.
- "Indians add Martinez & Soto from AAA Columbus". Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- Bastian, Jordan (September 6, 2015). "Francona looking forward to evaluating Soto". MLB.com.
- Polishuk, Mark (October 22, 2016). "Cubs Designate Giovanni Soto For Assignment". MLB Trade Rumors.
- "A's claim LHP Soto off waivers from the Cubs" (Press release). Oakland Athletics. October 26, 2016.
- Todd, Jeff (November 7, 2016). "White Sox Claim Giovanni Soto". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved November 7, 2016.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or Baseball-Reference, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)