Handa is situated in the valley created by the Handa River. Most of the population is concentrated near the mouth of the valley, near the Yoshino River. Yachiyo, the southern part of Handa, is mountainous and contains a number of peaks over 1000 meters.
Handa is served by Handa Junior High School, and Handa and Yachiyo elementary schools.
- National Route 192 runs along Handa's northern edge.
- Awa-Handa Station is on the JR Shikoku Tokushima Line.
- Handa is famous for its somen noodles. "Handa Somen" has been a special product of the area for over 250 years, and several somen makers still operate today.
- Dodoro falls is a 30m waterfall in Yachiyo.
- Oyasu Park is a popular spot for viewing cherry blossoms, and provides good views of the main part of town.
- Ishido-yama (1636m) and Yahazu-yama (1848m), although located in Ichiu, are easily accessed via a trailhead at Oso Ishido Jinja, in Handa. Yahazu-yama provides panoramic views of the Iya Valley and prominent mountains such as Mount Tsurugi, Jirogyu, and Miune.
- Tsurugi official website (in Japanese)