Jules Joseph Lefebvre
Jules Joseph Lefebvre (French: [ʒyl ʒɔzɛf ləfɛːvʁ]) (14 March 1834 – 24 February 1912) was a French figure painter, educator and theorist.
He was professor at the Académie Julian in Paris. Lefebvre is chiefly important as an excellent and sympathetic teacher who numbered many Americans among his 1500 or more pupils. Among his famous students were Fernand Khnopff, Kenyon Cox, Félix Vallotton, Ernst Friedrich von Liphart, Georges Rochegrosse, the Scottish-born landscape painter William Hart, Walter Lofthouse Dean, and Edmund C. Tarbell, who became an American Impressionist painter.
Many of his paintings are single figures of beautiful women. Among his best portraits were those of M. L. Reynaud and the Prince Imperial (1874).
- 1853 Student at the École des Beaux-Arts
- 1859 Second place Prix de Rome
- 1861 His Death of Priam wins the Prix de Rome
- 1870 Académie Julianprofessor
- 1870 Légion d'honneur, Officer, named Commander from 1898
- 1891 Member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts
- 1861 The Death of Priam (Won the Prix de Rome), École nationale supérieure des Beaux-Arts, Paris
- 1861 Diva Vittoria Colonna
- 1863 Boy Painting a Tragic Mask
- 1864 Roman Charity
- 1865 Portrait d'Antonio, modèle italien
- 1866 Cornelia, Mother of the Gracchi
- 1868 Reclining Nude, Musée d'Orsay.
- 1869 Le Réveil de Diane
- 1869 Portrait of Alexandre Dumas
- 1870 La Vérité (The Truth) (1870), oil on canvas, Musée d'Orsay, Paris. The painting is contemporary with the first small scale model made by Lefebvre's fellow-Frenchman Frédéric Bartholdi for what became the Statue of Liberty, striking a similar pose, though fully clothed.
- 1870s Jeune femme à la mandoline (Girl with a Mandolin)
- 1870 Portrait du Prince Impérial
- 1872 Pandora
- 1872 La Cigale, National Gallery of Victoria
- 1874 Odalisque
- 1874 Slave Carrying Fruit (Ghent Museum)
- 1874 Portrait of Eugène Louis Napoléon Bonaparte
- 1875 Chloé, Young and Jackson Hotel, Melbourne
- 1876 Mary Magdalene in the Cave, Hermitage Museum, Saint Petersburg
- 1877 Pandora
- 1878 Mignon, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- 1878 Graziella, Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- 1879 Diana
- 1879 Diana Surprised, Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes, Buenos Aires
- 1880 Portrait of Julia Foster Ward
- 1880 Housemaid, Pera Museum, Istanbul
- 1881 La Fiametta from Giovanni Boccaccio
- 1882 Pandora (II)
- 1882 Japonaise (A Japanese woman)
- 1883 Psyche
- 1884 The Feathered Fan
- 1884 Portrait of Edna Barger, private collection
- 1890 Lady Godiva
- 1890 Ophelia
- 1892 A Daughter of Eve
- 1896 Portrait of a Lady (II)
- 1898 Amor beim Schärfen seiner Pfeile (Love sharpening its arrows)
- 1901 Alexander Agassiz
- 1901 Yvonne (formerly Musée du Luxembourg), Portrait of Lefebvre's daughter
- Clémence Isaure
- La Fiancée (The Fiancée)
- Woman with an Orange
- Nymph with Morning Glory Flowers
- Fleurs des Champs
- L'Amour Blessé (Wounded Love)
- Mediterranean Beauty
- Portrait of a Lady
- Portrait of a Woman
- Young Woman with Morning Glories in Her Hair
- La jeune rieuse (1861), Musée de Picardie, Amiens, France.
- La Mort de Priam (1861), ENSBA, Paris.
- Chloé (1875), Young & Jackson, Melbourne.
- Servante (1880), Pera Museum, Istanbul.
- Odalisque (1874), Art Institute of Chicago.
- Japonaise (1882)
- Ophelia (1890)
- Nymph with Morning Glory Flowers
Lefebvre's students included:
- "Art Renewal Center Museum™ Artist Information for Jules Joseph Lefebvre". Art Renewal Center.
- Collier, Peter; Lethbridge, Robert (1994). Artistic Relations: Literature and the Visual Arts in Nineteenth-century France. London: Yale University Press. p. 50. ISBN 9780300060096.
- Oxford Art Online, "Lefebvre, Jules"
- Kathleen Luhrs American Paintings in the Metropolitan Museum of Art 1980 "...... on to Paris and studied for a year at the Académie Julian under Gustave Boulanger and Jules Lefebvre."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jules Joseph Lefebvre.|
- TheARTwerx – Lefebvre Gallery Comprehensive archive of 141 images
- Jules-Joseph-Lefebvre.org 42 images by Jules Joseph Lefebvre
- Art Renewal Centre – Lefebvre Gallery
- Paintingiant art--Jules Joseph Lefebvre