St. Martin's church
Location in Belgium
|Coordinates: 49°50′N 05°44′E / 49.833°N 5.733°ECoordinates: 49°50′N 05°44′E / 49.833°N 5.733°E|
|• Mayor||Daniel Waty|
|• Governing party/ies||UC|
|• Total||29.67 km2 (11.46 sq mi)|
|Population (1 January 2016)|
|• Density||60/km2 (150/sq mi)|
On 1 January 2007 the municipality, which covers 29.67 km2, had 1,584 inhabitants, giving a population density of 53.4 inhabitants per km². Besides Martelange itself, the municipality includes the population centers of Grumelange and Radelange.
For some 1.8 kilometres (1.1 mi), the N4 Brussels to Arlon road, which passes through the village, forms the border with the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Because fuel, tobacco, and alcohol taxes are lower in Luxembourg than in Belgium, the eastern, Luxembourgish side of this stretch of road has become lined with numerous filling stations and liquor stores.
Between 1830 and 1947, the town was a major slate quarrying centre, though the industry has now completely disappeared.
On August 21, 1967, a French tanker lorry containing 45 000 litres of liquid gas suffered from failing brakes while driving downhill. It exploded in the middle of the village, killing 22 people and injuring 54. Dozens of houses were completely destroyed.
- Media related to Martelange at Wikimedia Commons