Nelva Gonzales Ramos
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas|
Assumed office |
August 4, 2011
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Hayden Head|
1965 (age 50–51)|
Port Lavaca, Texas, U.S.
Texas State University, San Marcos|
University of Texas Law School
Nelva Gonzales Ramos (born 1965) is a United States District Judge on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Early life and education
Ramos was born in 1965 in Port Lavaca, Texas. She attended Texas State University, where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts summa cum laude in 1987. Ramos then earned her Juris Doctor from the University of Texas School of Law in 1991.
State judicial service
Federal judicial service
During the 111th Congress, Ramos was one of three candidates recommended by Democrats from the Texas House delegation for a Corpus Christi vacancy on the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas. Ramos was the only candidate also supported by Republican Senators Kay Bailey Hutchison and John Cornyn. On January 26, 2011, President Barack Obama nominated Ramos to replace Judge Hayden Head.
The United States Senate confirmed Ramos by unanimous consent on August 2, 2011. She received her commission on August 4, 2011.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary (January 24, 2011). "Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: Nelva Gonzales Ramos" (PDF). Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- "Texas State alumna nominated for federal district judgeship". The Texas State University-San Marcos Blog. January 27, 2011. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- Foley, Sara (January 26, 2011). "Nelva Gonzales Ramos nominated for federal judgeship". Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- Cavazos, Mary Ann; Powell, Jaime (June 9, 2010). "Democrats select three finalists for federal judgeship". Corpus Christi Caller-Times. Retrieved August 3, 2011.
- Nelva Gonzales Ramos at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas