|Mayor of Toledo|
Assumed office |
February 1, 2015
|Preceded by||D. Michael Collins|
|Member of the Toledo City Council|
from 4th district
January 2011 – February 1, 2015
Hamilton, Ohio, U.S.
|Political party||Democratic Party|
|Children||Patricia and Leah Hudson|
Spelman College (B.A.)|
Colorado State University (M.A.)
University of Iowa College of Law (J.D.)
Hicks-Hudson was appointed to the Toledo City Council in 2011, representing the 4th district, after Michael Ashford vacated the seat when he was elected to the Ohio General Assembly. She ran in the special election in May 2011, and again in the general election in November 2011, winning both to retain her seat. In 2013, her council colleagues voted for her to replace council President Joe McNamara when he resigned to run for mayor.
While serving as Toledo city council president, she was sworn in as acting mayor after her predecessor Mike Collins suffered from cardiac arrest. She served in this office for several days until Collins died, at which point she ascended to the office of mayor. Hicks-Hudson becomes only the second woman to lead the city of Toledo. (The first was Republican Donna Owens, who was mayor from 1983 to 1989.) She also becomes the first African American woman to serve as mayor. Toledo will hold a special election in November 2015 to fill the seat for the rest of the term. On March 18, 2015 Hicks-Hudson announced her candidacy for the November 2015 mayoral election.
Hicks-Hudson won election to a full term on November 3, 2015.
- Blade Staff (1 February 2015). "Toledo Mayor D. Michael Collins suffers apparent coronary episode in car crash". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 8 February 2015.
- Messina, Ignazio (27 February 2013). "Paula Hicks-Hudson elected as Toledo City Council President". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Lawyer Paula Hicks-Hudson - Toledo, OH Attorney - Avvo.com". avvo.com. Retrieved 12 February 2015.
- Blade Staff (2 February 2015). "Acting mayor Hicks-Hudson first took council office in 2011". Toledo Blade. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- Troy, Tom (8 February 2015). "Hicks-Hudson brings wealth of experience". Toldedo Blade. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- Larson, Diane (1 February 2015). "Paula Hicks-Hudson sworn in as acting mayor". WTVG. Retrieved 6 February 2015.
- "Toledo to hold special election after mayor's death". WJW. 7 February 2015. Retrieved 11 February 2015.
- Zepeda, Michelle (March 18, 2015). "Toledo Mayor Hicks-Hudson announces candidacy for November mayoral election". Toledo News Now. Retrieved March 18, 2015.
- "Lucas County Special Election – May 3, 2011". Election Summary Report – Board of Elections. The County of Lucas, Ohio. p. 38. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
- "Lucas County Special Election – November 8, 2011". Election Summary Report – Board of Elections. The County of Lucas, Ohio. p. 2. Retrieved 11 January 2015.
D. Michael Collins
|Mayor of Toledo, Ohio
| Succeeded by|