Peter Townsend (golfer)
|— Golfer —|
|Full name||Peter Michael Paul Townsend|
16 September 1946|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
|Residence||St Albans, England|
European Seniors Tour
|Number of wins by tour|
|European Senior Tour||1|
|Best results in major championships|
|Masters Tournament||42nd: 1969|
|U.S. Open||CUT: 1969|
|The Open Championship||T13: 1972, 1974|
Peter Michael Paul Townsend (born 16 September 1946) is an English professional golfer.
Life and career
Townsend was born in Cambridge. Following a successful amateur career, during which he won both the Brabazon Trophy and Lytham Trophy, he turned professional at the end of 1966. He went on to win a number of major tournaments around the world during the 1960s and 70s, including the Dutch Open in 1967, the British PGA Closed Championship in 1968, the Venezuela Open in 1969 and the Swiss Open in 1971.
Having had such a promising start to his career, Townsend moved to the United States and qualified for the PGA Tour. However he did not enjoy the same success, although he did have several top 10 finishes, and returned to Europe, going on to end both the 1971 and 72 seasons inside the top 5 on the Order of Merit.
Townsend represented Great Britain twice in the Ryder Cup, in 1969 and 1971. After retiring from tournament golf, he worked as a club professional and was elected Captain of the Professional Golfers' Association in 1994.
Townsend is the father of sons Stuart, an actor, and Dylan, and daughter, Chloe, by his first wife, model Lorna Townsend (née Hogan). He and his Swedish wife, Sofia, have two children, Hugo and Ella.
- 1962 Boys Amateur Championship
- 1964 Boys Amateur Championship
- 1965 British Youths Championship
- 1966 Brabazon Trophy, Lytham Trophy, Golf Illustrated Gold Vase (tie with Bobby Cole)
- 1967 Dutch Open
- 1968 Western Australian Open, British PGA Closed Championship, Coca-Cola Young Professionals' Championship
- 1969 Venezuela Open
- 1971 Walworth Aloyco Tournament (Italy), Swiss Open
- 1972 Los Lagartos Open (Colombia)
- 1976 ICL International (South Africa)
- 1978 Colombian Open, Hassan II Golf Trophy, Zambia Open, Caribbean Open
European Seniors Tour wins (1)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of
|1||16 Mar 2002||Royal Westmoreland Barbados Open||−4 (71-71-70=212)||1 stroke||Guillermo Encina|
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||T23||DNP||CUT||T16||T45||T40||T13||55||T13||T57||CUT||DNP||CUT||DNP||CUT||T19||T54|
Note: Townsend never played in the PGA Championship.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" = tied
Yellow background for top-10.
- Walker Cup (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 1965
- Eisenhower Trophy (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 1966
- Ryder Cup (representing Great Britain): 1969, 1971
- World Cup (representing England): 1969, 1974
- Double Diamond International (representing England): 1971 (winners), 1972 (winners), 1974 (winners)
- Marlboro Nations' Cup/Philip Morris International (representing England): 1972, 1975
- Sotogrande Match (representing Great Britain and Ireland): 1974 (winners)