Shelter (2014 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Paul Bettany|
|Written by||Paul Bettany|
|Music by||James Lavelle|
|Edited by||John F. Lyons|
|Distributed by||Screen Media Films|
Shelter is a 2014 American drama film written and directed by Paul Bettany in his directorial debut. The film stars Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Mackie, alongside a supporting cast featuring Rob Morgan, Amy Hargreaves, and Bruce Altman. The film was released on November 13, 2015, by Screen Media Films.
Tahir is an illegal immigrant from Nigeria, living homeless on the streets of Manhattan. Hannah is a heroin addict also living homeless in Manhattan. Tahir is a devout Muslim, polite to everyone he meets and making ends meet by performing music in city parks, while Hannah lies, steals and sells her body to get her next fix. When Tahir saves Hannah from a suicide attempt, she follows him, and the two form a friendship. As they go through a spring, summer, fall and winter, they share more about their past, and friendship turns to love. Circumstances slowly improve for the couple, but old demons are hard to run from. Tahir eventually gets ill and "joins" his wife and child who died in Nigeria, while Hannah and Tahir's love helps her clean up and return to her son in California.
- Jennifer Connelly as Hannah
- Anthony Mackie as Tahir
- Rob Morgan as Franklin
- Amy Hargreaves as Carrie
- Bruce Altman as Peter
- Babs Olusanmokun
- Kevin Geer as Walter
- Alok Tewari as Abdul
- Scott Johnsen as Terry
On August 21, 2013, it was announced Paul Bettany would direct the film.
The film premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival on September 12, 2014. On January 14, 2015, Screen Media Films acquired distribution rights to the film. The film was released on November 13, 2015, by Screen Media Films.
Shelter has received generally mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes the film has a rating of 41%, based on 22 reviews, with an average score of 5.6/10. On Metacritic, the film has a score of 39 out of 100, based on 10 critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "SHELTER (18)". British Board of Film Classification. September 24, 2015. Retrieved September 24, 2015.
- Kay, Jeremy (2013-08-21). "Paul Bettany to direct Shelter". Screendaily.com. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Dennis Harvey (2014-09-08). "'Shelter' Review: Jennifer Connelly, Anthony Mackie Star in Paul Bettany's Homelessness Drama". Variety. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Siegel, Tatiana (2015-01-14). "Screen Media Picks Up U.S. Rights to Paul Bettany's 'Shelter'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- "Shelter Trailer: Jennifer Connelly and Anthony Mackie Star in the Paul Bettany Film". ComingSoon.net. 2015-10-08. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
- "Shelter (2015)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2016-03-11.
- "Shelter Reviews". Metacritic. 2015-11-13. Retrieved 2015-11-17.