|Directed by||Kasthuri Raja|
|Written by||Kasthuri Raja|
|Cinematography||K. B. Ahmed|
|Edited by||Lancy — Mohan|
Karpaga Jothi Films
Thaai Manasu is a 1994 Tamil drama film directed by Kasthuri Raja. The film features Saravanan, Suvarna Mathew, Babloo Prithiveeraj and Meera in lead roles, with Vijayakumar, Manorama, Goundamani, Senthil and Karikalan playing supporting roles. The film, produced by Jothi Raja and Balan, had musical score by Deva and was released on 2 December 1994.
The film begins with Chinna Marudhu giving milk (custom in village) to end the sufferings of his mother Muthamma (Manorama).
In the past, Thangapandi (Vijayakumar) was the village chief and was a follower of Mahatma Gandhi, he was married to Muthamma. They had two sons : Periya Marudhu (Babloo Prithiveeraj) and Chinna Marudhu (Saravanan). Chinna Marudhu and Annalakshmi (Suvarna Mathew) were in love since their childhood while Periya Marudhu fell in love with Rasathi (Meera). The two young couples finally got married with their parents' blessings.
Thangapandi's village was the only village where the citizens didn't vote for the elections. Only because Thangapandi hated the politicians and lost faith in politics. Being an important and populated village in the district, the politicians tried to convince Thangapandi but they failed each time so they charged the heartless liquor smuggler Kangeyan (Karikalan) to change the villagers' mind. First, Kangeyan sent his henchmen to kill Thangapandi but Chinna Marudhu and Periya Marudhu saved him at time. Then, Kangeyan brainwashed the weak brother Periya Marudhu and turned him against his family. What transpires later forms the crux of the story.
- Saravanan as Chinna Marudhu
- Suvarna Mathew as Annalakshmi
- Babloo Prithiveeraj as Periya Marudhu
- Meera as Rasathi
- Vijayakumar as Thangapandi
- Manorama as Muthamma
- Goundamani as Chokkalingam
- Senthil as Sakkarai
- Karikalan as Kangeyan
- Delhi Ganesh
- T.K.S. Chandran
- Idichapuli Selvaraj
- Theni Saravanan
- Theni Kunjarammal
- Sevvazhairaj as Sevvazhai
|Soundtrack album by Deva|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1||'Oororam Kammakarai '||S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, S. Janaki||4:31|
|2||'Thaai Manasu Thangam'||Malaysia Vasudevan||2:56|
|3||'Thaai Manasu Thangam'||Malaysia Vasudevan||4:45|
|4||'Thoothuvalai'||Mano, S. Janaki||4:30|
Malini Mannath of The New Indian Express described the film as "unhappy Paradox".
- "Thaimanasu (1994) Tamil Movie". spicyonion.com. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- "Filmography of thaai manasu". cinesouth.com. Archived from the original on 2004-12-22. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- "Find Tamil Movie Thaai Manasu". jointscene.com. Archived from the original on 2010-12-21. Retrieved 2015-03-10.
- Malini Mannath (1994-10-28). "Unhappy Paradox". The Indian Express: 6. Retrieved 2015-03-10.