The Villain (1979 film)
|Directed by||Hal Needham|
|Produced by||Mort Engelberg|
|Written by||Robert G. Kane|
|Music by||Bill Justis|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
The Villain is a 1979 American film. A parody blend of western films and Warner Bros.' Wile E. Coyote cartoon situations, it was directed by Hal Needham and starred Kirk Douglas, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Ann-Margret, Paul Lynde, Foster Brooks, Strother Martin, Ruth Buzzi, Jack Elam, and Mel Tillis.
Its title when released in the UK and in Australia was Cactus Jack.
A beautiful woman, "Charming Jones" (Ann-Margret) is being escorted across the west by a naive, slow-witted cowboy, "Handsome Stranger" (Schwarzenegger) after claiming a large sum of money given to her by her father, Parody Jones (Martin). However, bad guy Avery Simpson (Elam), who delivered Charming the money, decides he wants it for himself. He hires an old outlaw, "Cactus Jack" (Douglas), to rob them when they leave town.
Throughout the trip, Charming makes advances toward Handsome, all of which are met with indifference. Meanwhile, Cactus Jack proceeds to lay trap after trap for the two, all of which backfire. Jack's attempt to enlist the assistance of Nervous Elk (Paul Lynde), the chief of a local American Indian tribe also fails.
Finally, Jack confronts the couple openly, at which point Charming gives up on romancing Handsome and instead kisses Jack, who proceeds to bounce around in red-hot elation.
- Kirk Douglas as Cactus Jack
- Ann-Margret as Charming Jones
- Arnold Schwarzenegger as Handsome Stranger
- Paul Lynde as Nervous Elk
- Strother Martin as Parody Jones
- Jack Elam as Simpson
- Mel Tillis as Telegraph Agent
- Ruth Buzzi as Damsel in Distress
- Foster Brooks as Bank Clerk
- Robert Tessier as Mashing Finger
- The Villain at the Internet Movie Database
- The Villain at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Villain at the TCM Movie Database