University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee School of Information Studies
|School of Library and Information Studies|
|Motto||Information our focus, International our scope, Interdisciplinary our mindset.|
|Dean||Tomas A. Lipinski|
|Location||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|Campus||University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee|
The school offers a Bachelor of Science in Information Science and Technology, a Master of Library and Information Science accredited by the American Library Association, and a Doctorate program in Information studies.
The school houses UW-Milwaukee's Center for Information Policy Research, Research Group for Information Retrieval, Information Intelligence and Architecture Research Lab, the Knowledge Organization Research Group (KOrg), and the Social Studies of Information Research Group (SSIRG).
SOIS has its own in-house technical support staff (SOIS Tech) that is separate from University Information Technology Services (UITS). SOIS Tech provides streaming access to recordings of past events (speakers, course material, and events) freely available to anyone on their website via an in-house Video on Demand service called iStream.
In 2013 US News & World Report ranked the school 15th nationally among Library and Information Science schools. SOIS ranks 4th internationally and 2nd in the US/Canada in department contributions to library and information science (LIS) literature (2007 - 2012) as reported in a recent study in the Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology by Walters & Wilder.
The school was recognized by UNESCO as one of the "leading international academic institutions" for its "ongoing role in promoting e-government and information ethics initiatives in Africa" in 2009.
- Peter Johan Lor, adjunct instructor
- Hope A. Olson, professor emeritus
- Richard P. Smiraglia, knowledge organization
- Michael Zimmer (academic), privacy and Internet ethics scholar
- Meet the iSchools
- "Library and Information Studies", US News & World Report.
- (William H. Walters & Esther Isabelle Wilder: Disciplinary, national, and departmental contributions to the literature of library and information science, 2007 - 2012. Journal of the Association for Information Science and Technology, Early view: published online: 29 APR 2015).
- UNESCO implements information ethics and e-government initiative in Africa, UNESCO.ORG
- SOIS’s work earns UNESCO praise
- University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee School of Information Studies
- Center for Information Policy Research
- Social Studies of Information Research Group