William A. Trimble
|William Allen Trimble|
|United States Senator|
March 4, 1819 – December 13, 1821
|Preceded by||Jeremiah Morrow|
|Succeeded by||Ethan A. Brown|
April 4, 1786|
Woodford County, Kentucky
December 13, 1821 35) (aged|
|Alma mater||Transylvania College|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1812-1819|
|Unit||Eighth United States Infantry|
Trimble was born in Woodford, Kentucky, the son of James and Jane (Allen) Trimble. He graduated from Transylvania College and was admitted to the bar in 1811. He briefly practiced law in Highland County, Ohio from 1811-1812.
In the subsequent years he served in a variety of capacities, mostly with the Ohio militia and the U.S. Army in campaigns against the Pottawatomie Indians. He was a major of the Ohio Volunteers in 1812 and major of the Twenty-sixth United States Infantry in 1813. He was promoted to lieutenant colonel in 1814 and then to lieutenant colonel of the First United States Infantry in 1814. He was transferred to the Eighth United States Infantry in 1815 and served there until his resignation in 1819, following his election to the U.S. Senate for the term beginning in 1819.
- Tucker, Spencer C. (2012). The Encyclopedia Of the War Of 1812: A Political, Social, and Military. ABC-CLIO. p. 717. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Lanman, Charles (1876). Biographical Annals of the Civil Government of the United States: During Its First Century. From Original and Official Sources. J. Anglim. p. 431. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- Old Northwest" Genealogical Society (1909). The "Old Northwest" Genealogical Quarterly, Volume 12. Old Northwest" Genealogical Society. p. 16. Retrieved 17 July 2014.
- "Hon. William A. Trimble". Historical Congressional Cemetery. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Tuttle, Mary McArthur Thompson: "William Allen Trimble, United States Senator from Ohio." (July 1905). Ohio Archaeological and Historical Quarterly 14.
- United States Congress. "William A. Trimble (id: T000377)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved on 2008-03-24
- "William A. Trimble". Find a Grave. Retrieved 2008-03-24.
- "Trimble, William A.". Appletons' Cyclopædia of American Biography. 1900.
|United States Senate|
| U.S. Senator (Class 3) from Ohio
Served alongside: Benjamin Ruggles
| Succeeded by|
Ethan Allen Brown