Baradwaj Rangan is an Indian film critic, writer, and the deputy editor of The Hindu. He won the National Film Award for Best Film Critic in 2006. Before joining The Hindu, Rangan wrote for The New Indian Express. He has also authored two books, worked as a dialogue writer for the unreleased film Kadhal 2 Kalyanam, and is a teacher at the Asian College of Journalism, Chennai.
Baradwaj Rangan had no formal training in filmmaking or cinema writing. He is a chemical engineering graduate from Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. According to him, it was a time when "parents considered only medicine or engineering as ‘serious professions’", that he did not have interest but continued with it anyway. Rangan claims that he was fascinated with writing and loved reading critical analyses on world cinema, especially by American critics. He got selected for a workshop by the Advertising Agencies Association of India (AAAI), Mumbai which led to him having a stint as a copywriter with J. Walter Thompson in Chennai. After that, Rangan received a full scholarship from the Marquette University, Milwaukee for a Master's degree in Advertising and Public relations, focusing on Internet advertising. Later, Rangan worked as an IT Consultant in the United States for about five years. He still had the urge to write and started reviewing films for the website
sitagita.com. That was when he was noticed by Sushila Ravindranath, then the editor of The New Sunday Express, the Sunday edition of The New Indian Express. Rangan worked there for two years, before shifting to The Hindu, which he became the deputy editor of. Rangan also wrote for the magazine Tehelka, while still working at The New Indian Express.
Rangan has authored two books: Conversations with Mani Ratnam (2012), wherein he interviews film director Mani Ratnam on the perspectives of his films, and Dispatches From The Wall Corner: A Journey through Indian Cinema (2014), which he describes as a "panoramic view of Indian cinema". He also wrote an essay in Subramaniyapuram: The Tamil Film in English Translation (2014). Rangan made his debut as a dialogue writer with Kadhal 2 Kalyanam, which never saw a theatrical release. He also teaches a course on cinema at the Asian College of Journalism, Chennai, and has interviewed notable personalities like producer/writer G. Dhananjayan, and director Gautham Menon.
At the 53rd National Film Awards which took place in 2006, Rangan won in the Best Film Critic category. The citation given to him by the jury of the 53rd National Film Awards reads, "The Award is presented for intelligent and reader-friendly reviews of popular cinema with a depth of understanding of the form, a discernible passion for the medium bulwarked consistently by a knowledge of the trends and touchstones of global cinema." In 2013, Arul Mani of Tehelka described Rangan as "far and away the most intelligent writer we have in India when it comes to cinema".
- Conversations with Mani Ratnam (2012) Penguin UK, ISBN 9788184756906
- Dispatches from the Wall Corner: A Journey through Indian Cinema (2014) Westland, ISBN 9789384030568
- Shekhar, Divya J. (28 March 2014). "In conversation with Baradwaj Rangan". Mandate. Archived from the original on 6 December 2015. Retrieved 6 December 2015.
- "53rd National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. pp. 132–133. Archived from the original (PDF) on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 24 August 2014.
- "Baradwaj Rangan". Caravan. Archived from the original on 29 September 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Rangan, Baradwaj (11 September 2010). "What Bollywood can learn from Rajini". Tehelka, Vol 7, Issue 36. Archived from the original on 7 December 2015. Retrieved 7 December 2015.
- Guha, Aniruddha (9 December 2012). "30 years, 22 films, 1 book: 'Conversations With Mani Ratnam'". Daily News and Analysis. Archived from the original on 26 August 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Mani, Arul (24 November 2012). "Talking Pictures". Tehelka, Vol 9, Issue 47. Archived from the original on 28 October 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- Bhatia, Sidharth (7 December 2014). "Book review: Dispatches from the Wall Corner — A book for movie lovers". Deccan Chronicle. Archived from the original on 25 April 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2015.
- Trilok, Krishna (24 October 2014). "South's Most Wanted". Indulge. The New Indian Express. Archived from the original on 17 December 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Kamath, Sudhish (20 January 2014). "Subramaniapuram in English". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 24 January 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2015.
- "'Kadhal 2 Kalyanam' to release finally". The Times of India. 29 March 2013. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Kamath, Sudhish (19 April 2014). "No country for new films". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 26 April 2014. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Ford-Powell, Ken (2 January 2013). "Conversations with Mani Ratnam by Baradwaj Rangan". Paste. Archived from the original on 30 May 2015. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Rangan, Baradwaj (17 March 2011). "Romancing the screen". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 3 December 2014. Retrieved 5 December 2015.
- Rangan, Baradwaj (17 December 2006). "Interview: Gautham Menon". baradwajrangan.wordpress.com. Archived from the original on 23 July 2015. Retrieved 5 December 2015.