G. A. Swanson
Gale Alden (G.A.) Swanson (Jan 12, 1939 - July 3, 2009 ) was an American organizational theorist, and Professor of Accounting at Tennessee Technological University, known for his accounting theories based on James Grier Miller’s general living systems theory.
Swanson was born in Lemmon, South Dakota. He received a BA with honors from Lee University, Cleveland, Tennessee in 1956, a MACT from the University of Tennessee Knoxville in 1971 and a Ph.D. from the Georgia State University in 1982. In his PhD thesis he had developed the outlines for a "general theory of accounting" which was largely inspired in Miller’s the living systems theory .
Since 1982 he was a Tennessee Tech Professor of Accounting at the department of Accounting and Business Law. Also he was serving on editorial boards of Systems Research and Behavioral Science, Systems-Journal of Transdisciplinary Systems Science, Journal for Information Systems and Systems Approach and International Encyclopedia of Systems and Cybernetics. Swanson is a former president of International Society for the Systems Sciences in 1997. He was founder of the Tennessee Society of Accounting Educators, and former council member of the TSCPA Educational Foundation.
Swanson received several awards. In 1989-90 he was awarded an Institute of Internal Auditors Research Foundation Fellowship, in 1991 a D.Litt. at the Oxford Graduate School, in 1997 a College of Business Administration Excellence in Overall Performance Award, and a College of Business Administration Foundation Award for Outstanding Research in 1987, 1993, and 2004.
- 1989. Measurement and interpretation in accounting : a living systems theory approach. With James Grier Miller. New York : Quorum Books
- 1991. Internal auditing theory : a systems view. With Hugh L. Marsh. New York : Quorum Books
- 1992. Management observation and communication theory. With Heikki Heiskanen.
- 1993. Macro accounting and modern money supplies. Westport, Conn. : Quorum Books
- OBITUARIES Gale Alden Swanson. In: Cleveland Daily Banner. Sunday, Jul 05, 2009. Retrieved July 6, 2009.
- Homepage Swanson at the Tennessee Technological University. Retrieved 3 June 2008.
- Swanson has published in such journals as The Accounting Review, Journal of Accountancy, Systems Research and Behavioral Science (SR&BS), International Journal of Social Economics, and Systems Practice.