|Initial release||July 30, 1999|
|Written in||Mostly Python, some C|
|Available in||Many languages|
|Type||Mailing list management software|
|License||GNU GPLv2 +|
GNU Mailman is a computer software application from the GNU Project for managing electronic mailing lists. Mailman is coded primarily in Python and currently maintained by Barry Warsaw. Mailman is free software, licensed under the GNU General Public License.
A very early version of Mailman was written by John Viega while a graduate student, who then lost his copy of the source in a hard drive crash sometime around 1998. Ken Manheimer at CNRI, who was looking for a replacement for Majordomo, then took over development. When Manheimer left CNRI, Barry Warsaw took over. Mailman 3, the first major new version in over a decade was released in April 2015.
- A customizable home page for each maillist.
- Web interfaces for list administration, archiving of messages, spam filtering, etc. Separate interfaces are available for users (for self-administration), moderators (to accept/reject list posts), and administrators.
- Support for multiple administrators and moderators for each list.
- Per-list privacy features, such as closed-subscriptions, private archives, private membership rosters, and sender-based posting rules.
- Integrated bounce detection and automatic handling of bouncing addresses.
- Integrated spam filters
- Majordomo-style email based commands.
- Support for virtual domains.
- List archiving. The default archiver provided with Mailman 2 is Pipermail, although other archivers can be used instead. The archiver for Mailman 3 is HyperKitty.
- Warsaw, Barry A. (30 July 1999). "Mailman 1.0". mailman-announce (Mailing list). Retrieved 2008-12-09.
- "GNU.org". GNU.org.
- "ANNOUNCE: The GNU Mailman 3 suite, beta 1 preview". Mail.python.org. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "freshmeat.net: Project details for GNU Mailman". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "Mailman, the GNU Mailing List Manager". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "MyMailmanRole — Myriadicity Dot". Retrieved 2009-02-11.
- "Mailman 3.0 to modernize mailing lists". lwn.net. 27 March 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Getting started with GNU Mailman". mailman.readthedocs.org. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "Internet Archive Wayback Machine". Wayback.archive.org. Retrieved 2013-12-25.
- "Developer Resources". gnu.org. Retrieved 26 November 2015.
- List Administrator's Guide
- "Mailman – An Extensible Mailing List Manager Using Python"; Ken Manheimer, Barry Warsaw, John Viega; presented at the 7th International Python Conference, Nov 10-13, 1998
- "Mailman: The GNU Mailing List Manager"; John Viega, Barry Warsaw, Ken Manheimer; presented at the 12th Usenix Systems Administration Conference (LISA '98), Dec 9, 1998
- Mailman Users Guide
- GNU Mailman chapter in The Architecture of Open Source Applications Volume 2
- Barry Warsaw presentation on Mailman 3 at PyCon US 2012
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to GNU Mailman.|