List of Usenet newsreaders
Usenet is a worldwide distributed discussion system using the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP). Programs called newsreaders are used to read and post messages (called articles or posts, and collectively termed news) to one or more newsgroups. This is a list of such newsreaders.
Types of clients
- Text newsreader – designed primarily for reading/posting text posts; unable to download binary attachments (example: non-GUI clients such as slrn)
- Traditional newsreader – text-capable newsreader which can also handle binary attachments, although not as efficiently as more specialized clients (example: Forté Agent and Xnews)
- Binary grabber/plucker – designed specifically for easy and efficient downloading of multi-part binary post attachments; limited or nonexistent reading/posting ability. These generally offer multi-server and multi-connection support. Most now support NZBs, and several either support or plan to support automatic Par2 processing (example: GrabIt, NewsBin, NewsLeecher). Some additionally support video and audio streaming (example: BinTube).
- NZB downloader – binary grabber client without header support – cannot browse groups or read/post text messages; can only load 3rd-party NZBs to download binary post attachments (example: NZB-O-Matic, SABnzbd, Ninan, URD). Some incorporate an interface for accessing selected NZB search websites.
- Binary posting client – designed specifically and exclusively for posting multi-part binary files (example: PowerPost, Sharkpost)
- Combination client – Jack-of-all-trades supporting text reading/posting, as well as multi-segment binary downloading and automatic Par2 processing (example: Usenet Explorer)
- Forté Agent
- Lotus Notes
- Netscape Communicator (superseded by Mozilla)
- NewsMan Pro
- Novell GroupWise
- Piao Hong Usenet NewsReader – for android, free version also available.
- Windows Mail – replaced Outlook Express for Windows Vista – terminated by Windows 7
- Windows Live Mail – replaced Outlook Express for Windows XP; optional for Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7
- Thoth - Mac OS X Discontinued
- Unison – for OS X, discontinued but is also a free download.
- Usenet Explorer
- MaxNews - Mac OS X
- MacSoup - Mac OS X
- Unison - Mac OS X (discontinued)
Free/open source software
- Argo (discontinued)
- Arachne (with aranews.apm package) (discontinued)
- Arena (discontinued)
- Beonex Communicator (discontinued)
- Claws Mail
- KNode (may be embedded in Kontact) (discontinued)
- Mozilla Mail & Newsgroups (discontinued, renamed to SeaMonkey)
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- SeaMonkey Mail & Newsgroups
- Agora (email server, discontinued)
- Gnus (Emacs based)
- Line Mode Browser
- Lynx (has limited Usenet support)
- Mutt (3rd party patches)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Usenet clients.|