Mannar Urban Council
|Mannar Urban Council |
மன்னார் நகர சபை
Santhanpillai Gnanaprgasam, TNA
Since March 2011
Sebastiyampillai Jemes Firansis Jesuthasan, TNA
Since March 2011
|Sri Lankan local government elections, 2011|
Mannar Urban Council (Tamil: மன்னார் நகர சபை Maṉṉār Nakara Capai; MUC) is the local authority for the town of Mannar in north-western Sri Lanka. MUC is responsible for providing a variety of local public services including roads, sanitation, drains, housing, libraries, public parks and recreational facilities. It has 7 members elected using the open list proportional representation system.
Mannar Urban Council was created with effect from 15 April 2006 from parts of Mannar Divisional Council. However, according to the pro-LTTE TamilNet, the Sri Lankan government had suspended all local government in the north and east of the country in 1983 using emergency regulations. The civil war prevented elections from being held for MUC until 2011..
On 27 January 2006 local authority elections were called for the entire country. It was later announced that elections would be held on 30 March 2006 across the entire country. The Election Commissioner subsequently postponed the elections in the north and Batticaloa District until 30 September 2006. On 23 September 2006 elections in the north and Batticaloa District were postponed until 30 June 2007.
MUC continued to be administered by special commissioners until the 2011 elections.
2011 local government election
Results of the local government election held on 17 March 2011:
|Alliances and parties||Votes||%||Seats|
|Tamil National Alliance (ITAK, EPRLF (S), TELO, PLOTE, TULF, TNLA)||4,757||58.60%||5|
|United People's Freedom Alliance (ACMC, EPDP et al.)||2,848||35.08%||2|
|United National Party||272||3.35%||0|
The following candidates were elected: Santhanpillai Gnanaprgasam (TNA); Sebastiyampillai Jemes Firansis Jesuthasan (TNA); Nilamutheen Nahusheen (UPFA); Anthony Charles Morines Perera (TNA); Subramaniyam Pirunthavananathan (TNA); Sampooranam Rathinasingam (TNA); and Selvarasa Selvakumar (UPFA).
- "PART IV (B) - LOCAL GOVERNMENT Local Government Notifications URBAN COUNCILS ORDINANCE" (PDF). The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. 1423/2. 12 December 2005.
- "TNA urges PM to put off NE local polls". TamilNet. 11 September 2002.
- "Nominations called for Local government elections". TamilNet. 27 January 2006.
- Satyapalan, Franklin R. (28 January 2006). "Polls chief sets LG polls nomination dates". The Island, Sri Lanka.
- "Local Government polls on 30 March". TamilNet. 16 February 2006.
- "Polling commences for 266 local councils in Sri Lanka". TamilNet. 30 March 2006.
- "Elections to 42 local bodies in NE postponed". TamilNet. 23 September 2006.
- Satyapalan, Franklin. R. (21 September 2006). "LG polls in North and East postponed again". The Island, Sri Lanka.
- "Local Authorities Election - 17.03.2011 Mannar District Mannar Urban Council". Department of Elections, Sri Lanka.
- "PART IV (B) — LOCAL GOVERNMENT Notices under the Local Authorities Elections Ordinance (Chapter 262) LOCAL AUTHORITY ELECTIONS ORDINANCE" (PDF). The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. 1699/5. 28 March 2011.