Mazha Peyyunnu Maddalam Kottunnu
|Mazha Peyyunnu Maddalam Kottunnu|
|Produced by||Edappazhanji Velappan|
|Edited by||N. Gopalakrishnan|
Mazha Peyyunnu Maddalam Kottunnu is a 1986 Malayalam comedy film directed by Priyadarshan. Starring Mohanlal, Mukesh, Lizy, Sreenivasan, Jagathi Sreekumar, Maniyanpilla Raju, and Kuthiravattam Pappu in the main roles. This film was a huge hit and considered as one of the best comedy films in Malayalam cinema. It was remade in Telugu as Saradaga Kasepu.
Madhavan, a.k.a M.A Dhavan (Sreenivasan), who has a rather eccentric personality, is back in Kerala after completing his business studies in USA. His schoolmate Shambhu (Mohanlal) is now working as a driver at his house, whom the now vain and snobbish Madhavan treats with disdain. Madhavan's parents want him to get married to Shobha (Lizy), the only daughter of Sardar Krishna Kurup (Jagathy Sreekumar), a rich and aristocratic businessman. Madhavan, who wants to observe his fiancée from a distance, decides to go to her house disguised as the driver and makes his driver Shambhu act as Madhavan. Just minutes after they set out from he house, his parents telephone Krishna Kurupp about their son's scheme. Various mishaps on way end up with Madhavan discarding his plan and deciding to visit as himself. Unaware of the change in plan, Sardar Krishna Kurup and wife have the driver Shambhu mistaken for the prospective groom and Madhavan as the driver. The prospective in-laws dote over Shambu, ignoring Madhavan, who is unaware of the impression that Kurup and wife are under. The situation gets tougher for Madhavan, due to his innate eccentric behavior towards the Kurup family. In the meantime Shobha, who also mistakes Shambhu as the fiance, falls in love with him. At the same time, Sardar Koma Kurup (Kuthiravattam Pappu), cousin to Sardar Krishna Kurup, is in constant fight with Krishna Kurup for past long years. Both are trying to capture the power at the Nethaji Club, a reputed social club, for personal reasons. Damodaran, a.k.a Damu, (Maniyanpilla Raju) impersonates himself as a lawyer and enters the house of Koma Kurup and wins his trust. But the real intention of Damu is to kill Koma Kuruppu and marry his daughter Aruna (Priya), so that he could grab the whole property. But one after another, the attempts of Damu to kill Koma Kurup fails, with each time, Damu getting himself nearly killed in the process. It was then, Shivan (Mukesh), a friend to both Damu and Shambhu, arrives at the house of Koma Kurup, apparently under the guise of Damu's imaginary brother who is apparently a heart patient. He instantly succeeds in winning the heart of Aruna, destroying the plans of Damu. Thus the two love stories, one between Shambhu and Shobha and the other between Shivan and Aruna, blooms side by side. This chain of events pit Shambhu and Shivan against Madhavan and Damu respectively. Unable to bear Shambhu's progress, Madhavan hires Kadathanatt Pappan Gurukkal (Cochin Haneefa), a known goon to beat up Shambhu, but instead, the goons themselves get beaten up by the adept Shambhu. This incident makes Shambhu to go all out against Madhavan and force Krishna Kurup to conduct the marriage within three days. But, everything turns more messy as the parents of Madhavan makes a surprise visit at the house of Sardar Krishna Kurup. They find the foul play of Shambhu, and Krishna Kurup, who realizes the mistake decides to get his daughter married to Madhavan. Shobha, who by this time is in love with Shambhu is adamant that she won't marry Madhavan. The marriage venue and date is fixed. At the same time Sardar Koma Kurup also finds out that his daughter is in love with Shivan, who is rather an adamant sickly fellow, falls for Damu's words and drive Shivan out. At the marriage venue both Shambhu and Shivan are denied entry. They calls up police by informing that there is gold hidden by Krishna Kurup at the marriage hall. The Police enters the venue and then happens a long fight packed with several comic incidents. In the end, with the help of police inspector (Jagadish), Shambhu marries Shobha and Shivan marries Aruna. Everything ends well and both couples starts their married life with the blessing of all others including the then dejected Madhavan and Damu.
- Shambu - Mohanlal
- Shivan - Mukesh
- 'M.A. Dhavan' Madhavan - Sreenivasan
- Damu - Maniyanpilla Raju
- Sardar Krishna Kurup - Jagathy Sreekumar
- Koma Kuruppu - Kuthiravattam Pappu
- Shobha - Lizy
- Aruna - Priya
- M.A.Dhavan's father - C. I. Paul
- M.A.Dhavan's mother - Sukumari
- Thankam - Lalithasree
- Damu's Uncle - Bahadur
- Inspector - Jagadish
- Kadathanattu Pappan Gurukal - Cochin Haneefa
- Guest Role - Mammootty
- Upon release, this film was a huge hit at box office. Without a strong plot or any emotional scenes as it is a senseless comedy flick. It is usually categorized as one of the best comedy films to have ever happened in Malayalam cinema. The repeated telecasts on TV channels has made it a cult film.
- The story of this film was by Jagadeesh, who himself makes a cameo appearance in the film as the police officer. The screenplay and dialogues were written by Sreenivasan.
- Mammooty appears in a guest appearance for just one scene towards the end of the film.
- The approximate distance from Washington, D.C. to Miami Beach is 1,704 km (1,059 miles) through the Interstate 95 highway (In reference to a popular dialogue from this movie, that starts with the question How many kilometers from Washington D.C. to Miami Beach?). Ironically, the metric system is not of common use in day-to-day life in the United States.
- "Wolfram Alpha search query (how many kilometres from washington to miami beach)". Retrieved 2011-06-07.