Miguel Ángel Martín (golfer)
|Miguel Ángel Martín|
|— Golfer —|
|Full name||Miguel Ángel Martín|
2 May 1962|
|Height||5 ft 6 in (1.68 m)|
|Weight||154 lb (70 kg; 11.0 st)|
European Seniors Tour|
|Former tour(s)||European Tour|
|Number of wins by tour|
|Best results in major championships|
|The Open Championship||T24: 1999|
Martín was born in Huelva. He started out as a caddie and turned professional in 1981. He has been a member of the European Tour for more than twenty seasons and in 2005 he became the first Continental European golfer to make 500 appearances on the tour. His best finish on the Order of Merit was 17th in 1996 and he has won three European Tour events. He was also a member of the winning Spanish team at the 2000 Alfred Dunhill Cup.
In 1997 Martín earned a spot in the European Ryder Cup team via the money list, but was forced to withdraw after failing to recover from a wrist injury sustained in July. At the time he felt that he had been excluded in order to have a bigger name player involved. Martín wanted to make his own decision nearer the time, as José María Olazábal had done two years before, but the European Ryder Cup committee requested that he play 18 holes to prove his fitness. He refused as it was just 30 days after his surgery, and despite receiving support from many players, his place on the team was taken by Olazábal, who was next on the qualification list.
European Tour wins (3)
|No.||Date||Tournament||Winning score||Margin of|
|1||28 Jun 1992||Peugeot Open de France||–8 (70-71-66-69=276)||2 strokes||Martin Poxon|
|2||2 Feb 1997||Heineken Classic||–15 (70-67-65-71=273)||1 stroke||Fred Couples|
|3||20 Jun 1999||Moroccan Open||–12 (67-71-70-68=276)||Playoff||David Park|
Other wins (9)
- 1986 SHA Grand Prix (Argentina)
- 1987 Spanish PGA Championship, Madrid Championship (Spain), South Open (Argentina), Carilo Open (Argentina)
- 1996 Campeonato de Espana (Spain)
- 2000 Madrid Championship (Spain), Alfred Dunhill Cup (with Miguel Ángel Jiménez and José María Olazábal)
- 2004 Madrid Championship (Spain)
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||T62||DNP||T30||CUT||T64||DNP||DNP||DNP||CUT||DNP||CUT||DNP||T24|
Note: The Open Championship is the only major Martín played in.
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" = tied
Yellow background for top-10.
- Europcar Cup (representing Spain): 1988
- Alfred Dunhill Cup (representing Spain): 1991, 1994, 1997, 2000 (winners)
- Ryder Cup (representing Europe): 1997 (injured, did not play)
- World Cup (representing Spain): 1997, 1998, 1999
- Profile on the European Tour's official site - accessed 18 Mar 2008 Archived September 30, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Farrell, Andy (4 September 1997). "Axed Martin points the finger at Ballesteros". London: The Times. Retrieved 2009-07-13.
- "Grounded: Miguel Angel Martín, and more, was sacrificed to ensure a European win". Sports Illustrated. 6 October 1997. Retrieved 2009-07-13.