Moshannon Valley Correctional Center
|Location||555 Geo Drive, Philipsburg, Centre County, Pennsylvania|
|Security class||minimum security|
|Managed by||GEO Group|
Moshannon Valley Correctional Center or Moshannon Valley CI is a federal prison for men located in Philipsburg, Clearfield County, Pennsylvania, privately operated by the GEO Group under contract with the Federal Bureau of Prisons. (The city of Philipsburg straddles the border between Centre and Clearfield Counties. The prison stands in Clearfield County.)
The facility began accepting prisoners in April 2006 and has been expanded since. At opening it was the first privately owned prison in Pennsylvania. It houses low-security, nonviolent criminal aliens who have less than 5 years on their remaining sentences.
In September 2013 the future of Moshannon Valley's continued operation was said to hinge on a federal contractual decision between this facility and the Northeast Ohio Correctional Center, privately run by the Corrections Corporation of America near Youngstown, Ohio.
In August 2016, Justice Department officials announced that the FBOP would be phasing out its use of all contracted facilities, on the grounds that private prisons provided less safe and less effective services with no substantial cost savings. The agency expects to allow current contracts on its thirteen remaining private facilities to expire.
|Inmate Name||Register Number||Status||Details|
|Robert W. Gannon||86114-083||Serving a 12-month plus 1 day sentence; scheduled for release in 2016.||Pleaded guilty in 2015 to and receiving kickback proceeds of nearly $200,000 USD while managing US Government contracts in Afghanistan.|
|David Radler||18189-424||Sentenced to 29 months; transferred FCI Ray Brook and then to Canada in September 2008; paroled from Ferndale Institution December 2008.||Pleaded guilty to mail fraud. Former associate of Conrad Black and CEO of Ravelston Corporation.|
|Kareem Serageldin||68423-054||Sentenced on November 22, 2013 to serve 30 months in prison, which he began serving on January 28, 2014; released on March 25, 2016.||Convicted of conspiracy to artificially inflate subprime mortgage bond prices in order to conceal hundreds of millions of dollars in losses in Credit Suisse’s mortgage-backed securities portfolio.|
- Bucsko, Mike (April 30, 2006). "Texas firm to operate Pa.'s 1st private prison in Clearfield". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "Moshannon Valley Correctional Center". geogroup.com.
- Carroll, Matt (September 22, 2013). "Future of Moshannon Valley prison tied to fight for federal contract". Centre Daily Times. State College, PA.
- Falce, Lori (2014-12-29). "Contract Renewed For Moshannon". Centre Daily Times. State College, PA.
- Zapotosky, Matt (18 Aug 2016). "Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons". Washington Post. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- Waldie, Paul (18 December 2008). "Radler plans to pen a 'business primer'; In his first interview since being paroled, the convicted fraudster says he feels no bitterness toward Lord Black". Globe and Mail. Toronto. pp. A3.