Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA
|Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA|
|Music by||James Vasanthan|
|Edited by||R. Sudharsan|
V House Production
|10 May 2013|
Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA is a 2013 Tamil political satire film directed by Manivannan. A sequel to Amaidhi Padai (1994), it stars Sathyaraj, reprising his role as Nagaraja Cholan from the original, alongside an ensemble cast including Seeman, Manivannan, his son Raghuvannan, Mrudula Murali, Komal Sharma and Varsha Ashwathi. The film, featuring music composed by James Vasanthan, was produced by Ravichandran and K. Suresh under the banner of V House Production and shot in Coimbatore and surrounding areas in one single schedule. Unlike the original, Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA opened to mixed reviews. It was Manivannan's 50th and last film as a director and actor, as he died a month after the film's release.
- Sathyaraj as Chief Minister Nagaraja Cholan (Amavasai) and CBI investigations officer Rajagopal IPS
- Manivannan as Ex-MLA Manimaran, the sidekick and de facto owner of nagaraja's illegal properties
- Seeman as a farmer and farmer rights activist.
- Raghuvannan as Gangaikondaan, son of nagarajachozhan, later the acting chief minister.
- Mrudula Murali as Shenbagavalli, wife of Gangaikondaan.
- Komal Sharma as teacher Kamalini, fiance of seeman
- M. S. Bhaskar as Kootha Perumal
- Varsha Ashwathi as Amudha
- Sujatha as Kamalini's mother
- Ansiba Hassan
- K. P. Jagannath
The film's soundtrack and score were composed by James Vasanthan.
- Kannadi Papa — Pooja
- Malamele — Palaniammal, Mahalingam
- Mamanukku Ennadi — Nancy, Vasudha, Sarayu
- Suda Sudathan — MK Balaji
- Viraivil Vidiyum — James Vasanthan
The Times of India gave the film 2.5 stars out of 5 and wrote, "If you are familiar with Nagaraja Cholan as a ruthless politician, who rose from being Ammavasai in Amaidhipadai, this movie will definitely disappoint you...his resurrection after almost 20 years ends up a failed attempt to build on the character...The movie is a pale shadow of the original, except for the few scenes involving Cholan and his trusted aide Manimaran". Baradwaj Rangan wrote, "The film seems to be some sort of science fiction, unfolding in a parallel dimension even as the events in Amaidhipadai were taking place. But this isn't the real problem with Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA. If Manivannan wants to take a hit character from a hit film and spin a new story around him, that's his prerogative — except that the story, this time, doesn't stick".
- "Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA replaces Amaidhi Padai". Behindwoods. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Manivannan's 50th movie Nagaraja Cholan MA, MLA". Sify. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Nagaraja Chozhan MA, MLA fails to impress!". in.com. Retrieved 11 May 2013.