Penn State College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
|Dean||William E. Easterling|
|Location||University Park, Pennsylvania, USA|
The College was founded in 1896 as a School of Mines, but, over time, diversified becoming the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences. The college has five departments: Energy and Mineral Engineering, Geography, Geosciences, Materials Science and Engineering, and Meteorology.
The College also includes The Alliance for Earth Science, Engineering, and Development in Africa (AESEDA), The Energy Institute, The Earth and Environmental Systems Institute (EESI), The John A. Dutton e-Education Institute, and The Peter R. Gould Center for Geography and Outreach.
It is currently the smallest college (in terms of student enrollment) at the University Park campus.
According to the latest United States National Research Council rankings(1995), The Department of Geography is ranked number one in the United States. The U.S. News Best Graduate Schools 2007 ranked the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Meteorology graduate program number one in the US. According to U.S. News rankings for 2009, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering program ranks 5th in the nation and the Geology program ranks 3rd in the nation.
Types of Majors
College of Earth and Mineral Sciences offers nine degrees programs they are: – Energy Business and Finance – Energy Engineering – Environment System Engineering – Geography – Geosciences – Materials Science and Engineering – Meteorology – Mining Engineering – Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering
- Raymond Ban - Weather Channel
- Martin Craighead - Chairman and CEO of Baker Hughes
- Dr. Greg Forbes - Weather Channel Severe Weather Expert
- Elliot Abrams - Accuweather
- Charles H. Bowman - President Gulf Oil products and Chairman and CEO BP America
- Thomas J. Casadevall - deputy director United States Geological Survey
- Jay Hammond - Governor of Alaska
- Joel N. Myers - Founder of Accuweather
- Dr. Jon Nese - Weather Channel
- Stu Ostro - The Weather Channel - Senior Director of Weather Communications
- Steven Schlotterbeck - President of EQT
- Jeffrey L. Ventura - Chairman, President and CEO of Range Resources