Delgany on the R762
Location in Ireland
|Coordinates: 53°07′52″N 6°05′28″W / 53.131°N 6.091°WCoordinates: 53°07′52″N 6°05′28″W / 53.131°N 6.091°W|
|Elevation||51 m (167 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||O274108|
Delgany (Irish: Deilgne, meaning "Thorny Place") is a small rural village in County Wicklow located on the R762 road which connects to the N11 road at the Glen of the Downs. It is about 25 km (16 mi) south of Dublin city centre. Delgany is in the Roman Catholic parish of Kilquade and the parish church is located in Kilquade about 4 km (2.5 mi) south. The local Catholic school is St Laurence's which is located on Convent Road. There is a Church of Ireland parish church and the parish school Delgany National School and in the area.The area is surrounded by wooded hills (including Kindlestown Wood ) and the Glen of the Downs.
Delgany has two golf clubs, Delgany GC and the newer Glen of the Downs GC. Delgany is situated just outside Greystones and has close ties to the sports clubs there including: Greystones Rugby Club, Greystones United, Eire Og Greystones and Greystones Lawn Tennis Club.
Delgany has a well renowned walk called the "Delgany Heritage Trail". Along this you have the opportunity to see some of the interesting history and wildlife that Delgany has to offer. There are two other walks including Kindlestown Woods trail and the Glen of the Downs. In the ancient village of Delgany, there is a wealth of flora and fauna to be discovered. Down in the glen lies the Glebe (Church lands), where you can hear the bubbling sound of Three Trout Stream as it makes its way downwards towards the sea. During early spring mornings and evenings, it’s the place to come and hear the sweet sounds of the dawn and evening choruses.
Delgany is a frequent visitor of much of Ireland's most beautiful wildlife. The sparrow hawk is a regular visitor and in recent years, a pair of buzzards have nested in Delgany's woodlands. Along Blackberry Lane, you will see the variety of trees, bushes and general vegetation, which provide ideal nesting sites for birds as well as excellent habitats and corridors for other forms of wildlife. This is the haunt of blackbird, song thrush, robin, wren, blackcap and willow warbler, to name but a few. Higher up above the village on Bellevue Hill, is Kindlestown Wood where the variety of trees include oak, walnut, ash, elm, holly, hazel, hawthorn, beech, sycamore, elder, maple, Spanish chestnut and a variety of conifers. These provide cover for various animals, including both badger and fox.
This location offers good opportunities in summer for watching bats, as they hunt for flying insects during the late evenings. At Barry’s Bridge the resident rabbits are sometimes joined by one or two deer, which take advantage of the rich grasses growing along the banks of the stream.
It used to have three pubs: The Wicklow Arms has been sold for redevelopment and the Delgany Inn is now home to a baker, grocer, fishmonger and Pigeon House restaurant. The only one which still operates as a pub is the Horse and Hound, on the main street, Convent Road, which is also home to Farrelly's Butchers, the Bear Paw Deli and the local shop.
Delgany has been home to a community of Carmelite Nuns since 1844. Due to an historical need, a National School with places for 200 was opened at the Monastery in 1846. Teaching is not a normal activity of a Carmelite Monastery. However, due to prevailing circumstances, the nuns became the teachers. The average attendance was 70-100. The charge being 1 penny per week “for those who could afford it”.The school remained open until 1896. A new Monastery was opened in 2005.The Church was built in 1851 and opened on the Feast of St. Teresa on October 1, 1853. For more information on Carmelite Monastery please go to useful links on the right hand side.
Church of Ireland Parish Church, built by Peter La Touche at a cost of £5,000 and designed by Whitmore Davis, it was completed in 1789. A light Gothic building with a steeple rising 30m. over the Western entrance, containing a clock and bell. A stone tablet bearing the La Touche family arms is inserted beneath the dial plate of the clock. The interior is of a very pleasing design and contains a splendid monument to the memory of David La Touche, Peter’s father. Fashioned in white marble, it was executed by the famous Irish sculptor, John Hickey.
The Old Burial Ground is an early Christian settlement dating back to the 7th century. Delgany’s medieval relic, a monumental high cross stands here, head missing, standing granite shaft with inscription of a prayer survives. The ruins of the 13th century church, which was used until 1789 and the baptismal font can still be seen. St. Moghoróg, a contemporary of St. Augustine, is reputed to have had a religious cell here in the 6th century. It is recorded that he attended St. Kevin on his death bed in Glendalough in 618. Tombstones throughout the burial ground, all ranging from the 1700s are mostly in limestone and Wicklow granite and all tombstones face east and are easier to read at 12 noon. Recently "The Old Burial Ground" has been restored and opened to the public. The 1-acre (4,000 m2) site is protected and contains the ruins of a 13th-century church, the stump of a 6th-century high cross and graves dating from the 18th century. (See thumbnails). In the 1990s, Delgany was the location for the recording of Tori Amos' third album Boys For Pele.
A Medieval castle possibly dating back to the 9th century although no datable finds have been made to confirm this. The castle appears to have been occupied into the 18th century. Excavation also established that the south and west walls represented a replacement wall built in the 19th century. Kindlestown has connections back in 1020 with Ugaire, son of Douling, King of Leinster and Citric, Norse King of Dublin. In September 1649, Cromwell arrived. His soldiers stayed in Killincarrig Castle. The locals stole Cromwell’s favourite horse which enraged him, this being easily achieved. He stormed off to Kindlestown Castle and ransacked it.
Originally 2 thatched houses; they were built in the early 16th century and joined in 1773, on 12½ acres of land. It was once known as ‘The Delgany Inn’ and later ‘Glenowen’. The roof was changed to slate early in the 1900s. The house faces north, all principal rooms to the rear enjoying south and east facing views over the sloping gardens. Sir Walter Raleigh, the man who brought the potato to Ireland, stayed in the house. The most recent occupiers, the Gainsford St Lawrences family, maintained a magical garden on about three acres plunging downhill to Three Trout Stream. The garden used to be opened to the public on two weekends a year. The house is believed to have two benign resident ghosts, a lady in black lace and a gentleman in grey.
An advert for a directory enquiry company was filmed at the old Patterson's Garage in the area. Several episodes of the TV show "Moon Boy" have also been filmed in the Church of Ireland parish church.
Born in Delgany:
- Harry Bradshaw, golfer;
- Eamonn Darcy, golfer;
- Francis Henry Medcalf, Mayor of Toronto (1864–66);
- James Whiteside, lawyer-politician;.
Residents of Delgany:
- Amy Bowtell - Professional Tennis Player;
- Janos Köhler - Professional Cyclist, Double World Champion;
- Clement Robertson - VC recipient; (deceased, 4 October 1917);
- Éamon de Buitléar - wildlife filmmaker and naturalist (deceased, 27 January 2013);
- Eoin O'Caoimh - local historian, political analyst;
- John Nelson Darby - evangelical clergyman;
- George Hamilton - an Irish football commentator.
Gallery of images
Shaft of Monumental High Cross - a prayer for ODRAN SAIR
Christ Church (CoI), Delgany.
- Bellevue House - now demolished country house in Delgany
- "Census 2006 – Volume 1 – Population Classified by Area" (PDF). Central Statistics Office Census 2006 Reports. Central Statistics Office Ireland. April 2007. Retrieved 2011-06-25.
- "Coillte: Kindlestown". Coillte.ie. Archived from the original on 2008-06-20. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Delgany Golf Club, Co. Wicklow , Ireland". Delganygolfclub.com. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Glen of the Downs Golf Club". Glenofthedowns.com. Retrieved 2008-10-31.
- "Delgany Heritage Website".
- "Delgany Protestant church".
- http://www.delganyheritagevillage.com/Old_burial_ground.html. Missing or empty