Guthridge was originally called Guthridge Mills, and under the latter name was laid out in 1858, and named after James Guthridge, the proprrietor of a local mill. A post office called Guthridges Mills was established in 1879, and remained in operation until 1906.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Guthridge, Missouri
- "Chariton County Place Names, 1928–1945 (archived)". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 17 September 2016.