|Associate Justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court|
Assumed office |
|Appointed by||Susana Martinez|
|Preceded by||Richard C. Bosson|
|Born||November 3, 1960|
|Alma mater||University of New Mexico|
Judith Nakamura (born November 3, 1960) is an American judge, who is an associate justice of the New Mexico Supreme Court. She was appointed to the court by Governor Susana Martinez in 2015, and was re-elected in November 2016.
Nakamura was born in New Mexico, and attended the University of New Mexico, completing a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1983 and a law degree in 1989. After graduating from college, she served as a political director for the Republican Party of New Mexico, and as a staffer for U.S. Senator Pete Domenici. After law school, Nakamura was an attorney in private practice, and for the state Land Office.
Nakamura is an avid balloonist, who serves on the board of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta, which takes place in New Mexico each fall.
Nakamura was elected as a judge on the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Court in 1998, and served as chief judge of that court from 2002 to 2013. The Albuquerque Bar Association named Nakamura "Judge of the Year" in 2004. The Governor of New Mexico Susana Martinez appointed Nakamura to New Mexico's Second Judicial District Court in 2013, and she was re-elected to a new term in 2014.
In 2015, Governor Martinez named Nakamura to the New Mexico Supreme Court, to fill the vacancy created by the retirement of Richard C. Bosson. Her appointment gave the supreme court a female majority for the first time. A lawsuit challenging Nakamura's appointment, because she was nominated before her predecessor had actually left office, was dismissed by the courts.
Nakamura was re-elected to a new term on the Supreme Court in November 2016, defeating her Democratic challenger Michael Vigil by 391,000 votes to 361,000 (52% to 48%).
- Lee, Morgan (February 3, 2016). "Candidates vie for secretary of state post after scandal". Washington Times.
- Shepard, Maggie (November 9, 2016). "Close Supreme Court race ends in win for Nakamura". Albuquerque Journal.
- Martindale. "Judge Profile: Hon. Judith K. Nakamura".
- Haussamen, Heath (November 12, 2015). "Meet the newest member of the New Mexico Supreme Court". New Mexico Politics.
- Sandlin, Scott (November 12, 2015). "Gov. Martinez picks Nakamura for New Mexico Supreme Court". Albuquerque Journal.
- Reichbach, Matthew (November 12, 2015). "Martinez names Nakamura to fill Supreme Court vacancy". New Mexico Political Report.
- Miller, Blair (November 12, 2015). "Judge Judith Nakamura appointed to NM Supreme Court". KOB4 Eyewitness News.
- Da, Royale (March 29, 2016). "For the first time, there's a female majority on the New Mexico Supreme Court". KOAT.
- Haywood, Phaedra (December 1, 2015). "Judge: Nakamura's Supreme Court appointment was constitutional". Santa Fe New Mexican.