Petersburg, Boone County, Kentucky
|Census-designated place (CDP)|
Location within Boone County and the state of Kentucky
|Coordinates: 39°4′8″N 84°52′2″W / 39.06889°N 84.86722°WCoordinates: 39°4′8″N 84°52′2″W / 39.06889°N 84.86722°W|
|• Total||7.0 sq mi (18.2 km2)|
|• Land||6.2 sq mi (16.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Density||100/sq mi (38.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0500480|
Petersburg is a rural unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Boone County, Kentucky, United States. As of the 2010 census Petersburg, along with its surrounding areas that use the 41080 zip code, had a population of 620.
Petersburg is located at the site of Tanner's Station, an outpost founded before 1790. The Bullittsburg Baptist Church was founded outside the former hamlets of Utzinger and Gainesville/Idewild, east and north of Petersburg, in 1794.
Petersburg, in 1791, was a candidate for the site of the new state's capital, however the Petersburg in contention was a site that no longer exists by name in Woodford County, Kentucky.
- Charles Clinton Fleek, recipient of the Medal of Honor for service in the Vietnam War. "Chalky", as he was known, attended the 5 classroom, Petersburg Elementary School which has since been demolished/converted into a local community center and branch of the Boone County Public Library.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Petersburg CDP, Kentucky". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved November 20, 2013.
- Collins, Lewis (1877). History of Kentucky. p. 54.
- "HomeTownLocator". Retrieved 2006-06-10.