Poul-Henning Kamp with Tux
|Born||20 January 1966|
Poul-Henning Kamp (born 1966) is a Danish computer software developer known for work on various projects. He currently resides in Slagelse, Denmark.
Involvement in the FreeBSD project
Poul-Henning Kamp has been committing to the FreeBSD project for most of its duration. He is responsible for the widely used MD5crypt implementation of the MD5 password hash algorithm, a vast quantity of systems code including the FreeBSD GEOM storage layer, GBDE cryptographic storage transform, part of the UFS2 file system implementation, FreeBSD Jails, malloc library, and the NTP timecounters code.
Most notable projects
Dispute with D-Link
A post by Poul-Henning on the FreeBSD mailing lists is responsible for the popularization of the term bike shed discussion, and the derived term bikeshedding, to describe Parkinson's law of triviality in open source projects - when the amount of discussion that a subject receives is inversely proportional to its importance.
Poul-Henning Kamp has published a substantial number of articles over the years in publications like Communications of the ACM and ACM Queue mostly on the topics of computing and time keeping. A selection of publications:
- USENIX ATC 1998 FREENIX track, "malloc(3) Revisited"
- USENIX BSDCon 2003, GBDE-GEOM Based Disk Encryption
- USENIX BSDCon 2002, Rethinking /dev and devices in the UNIX kernel
- ACM Queue: Building Systems to be Shared Securely
- ACM Queue: You're doing it wrong
- ACM Queue: A Generation Lost in the Bazaar
- Communications of the ACM 2011: The Most Expensive One-Byte Mistake
- Communications of the ACM 2011: The One-Second War
- "List of FreeBSD committers on Freebsd.org".
- "PHKs Bikeshed, MD5crypt Is No longer safe". Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- Norris, Jeff (2004). "Mission-Critical Development with Open Source Software: Lessons Learned". IEEE Software. IEEE Computer Society. 21 (1): 42–49. doi:10.1109/MS.2004.1259211. Retrieved 13 March 2013.
- "D-Link Firmware Abuses Open NTP Servers".
- Kamp, Poul-Henning. "Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism".
- "A bike shed (any colour will do) on greener grass...", freebsd-hackers mailing list, 1999
- "Poul-Henning Kamp". Retrieved 10 January 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Poul-Henning Kamp.|
- people.freebsd.org homepage
- phk.freebsd.dk homepage
- Blog in Danish
- Another blog in Danish
- Resolution of D-Link Dispute
- Varnish cache