Washington Township, Holmes County, Ohio
|Washington Township, Holmes County, Ohio|
The Joseph L. DeYarmon House, a historic site in the township
Location of Washington Township in Holmes County
|Coordinates: 40°37′45″N 82°9′16″W / 40.62917°N 82.15444°WCoordinates: 40°37′45″N 82°9′16″W / 40.62917°N 82.15444°W|
|• Total||30.0 sq mi (77.8 km2)|
|• Land||29.8 sq mi (77.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)|
|Elevation||1,122 ft (342 m)|
|• Density||54.2/sq mi (20.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086340|
Washington Township is one of the fourteen townships of Holmes County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,614 people in the township, 1,419 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the northwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Lake Township, Ashland County - north
- Clinton Township, Wayne County - northeast
- Ripley Township - east
- Knox Township - south
- Hanover Township, Ashland County - southwest
- Green Township, Ashland County - northwest
Several populated places are located in Washington Township:
- Part of the village of Loudonville, in the west
- Part of the village of Nashville, in the southeast
- The unincorporated community of Lakeville, in the northeast
Name and history
It is one of forty-three Washington Townships statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Holmes County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.