1986 Pulitzer Prize
The following are the Pulitzer Prizes for 1986.
- Public service: The Denver Post
- General news reporting: Edna Buchanan of The Miami Herald
- "For her versatile and consistently excellent police beat reporting."
- Investigative reporting: Jeffrey A. Marx and Michael M. York of the Lexington Herald Leader
- Explanatory reporting: Staff of The New York Times
- "For a six-part comprehensive series on the Strategic Defense Initiative, which explored the scientific, political and foreign policy issues involved in 'Star Wars'."
- Specialized Reporting: Andrew Schneider and Mary Pat Flaherty of the Pittsburgh Press
- For their investigation of violations and failures in the organ transplantation system in the United States."
- National reporting: Craig Flournoy and George Rodrigue of The Dallas Morning News
- National reporting: Arthur Howe of The Philadelphia Inquirer
- International reporting: Lewis M. Simons, Pete Carey and Katherine Ellison of the San Jose Mercury News
- "For their June 1985 series that documented massive transfers of wealth abroad by President Marcos and his associates and had a direct impact on subsequent political developments in the Philippines and the United States."
- Feature writing: John Camp of St. Paul Pioneer Press and Dispatch
- "For his five-part series examining the life of an American farm family faced with the worst U.S. agricultural crisis since the Depression."
- Commentary: Jimmy Breslin of the New York Daily News
- "For columns which consistently champion ordinary citizens"
- Criticism: Donal Henahan of The New York Times
- "For his music criticism."
- Editorial writing: Jack Fuller of the Chicago Tribune
- "For his editorials on constitutional issues."
- Editorial cartooning: Jules Feiffer of The Village Voice, New York City
- Spot news photography: Carol Guzy and Michel duCille of The Miami Herald
- "For their photographs of the devastation caused by the eruption of the Nevado del Ruiz volcano in Colombia."
- Feature photography:Tom Gralish of The Philadelphia Inquirer
- "For his series of photographs of Philadelphia's homeless."
Letters and Drama
- Fiction: Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry (Simon & Schuster)
- History: ...the Heavens and the Earth: A Political History of the Space Age by Walter A. McDougall (Basic Books)
- Biography or autobiography: Louise Bogan: A Portrait by Elizabeth Frank (Alfred A. Knopf)
- Poetry: The Flying Change by Henry Taylor (Louisiana State University Press)
- General non-fiction: Common Ground: A Turbulent Decade in the Lives of Three American Families by J. Anthony Lukas (Alfred A. Knopf)
- General non-fiction: Move Your Shadow: South Africa, Black and White by Joseph Lelyveld (Times Books)
- Music: Wind Quintet No. 4 by George Perle (Galaxy Music)
Premiered on October 2, 1985