Variant names were "Campbells Station" and "Ellwood". A post office called Elwood was established in 1897, and remained in operation until 1940. The community has the name of the local Ellwood family.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Elwood
- "Post Offices". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Greene County Place Names, 1928–1945 (archived)". The State Historical Society of Missouri. Retrieved 3 October 2016.