Johnson N. Camden Jr.
|Johnson Newlon Camden Jr.|
|United States Senator|
June 16, 1914 – March 4, 1915
|Preceded by||William O. Bradley|
|Succeeded by||John C.W. Beckham|
January 5, 1865|
Parkersburg, West Virginia
August 16, 1942 77) (aged|
Born in Parkersburg, West Virginia, Camden Jr. attended Episcopal High School in Alexandria, Virginia, Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts, Virginia Military Institute in Lexington, Virginia, Columbia Law School in New York City, and the law school at University of Virginia in Charlottesville. Although admitted to the bar in 1888, he never practiced.
Camden moved to Spring Hill Farm, near Versailles, Kentucky, in 1890 and became involved in farming and Thoroughbred horse breeding and racing. He served for a time as president of the Kentucky Jockey Club. He was also interested in the opening and development of the coal fields in eastern Kentucky. He was appointed as a Democrat to the U.S. Senate on June 16, 1914 to fill a vacancy caused by the death of his predecessor, William O. Bradley.
He was elected on November 3, 1914 and served until March 3, 1915. He was not a candidate for renomination in 1914.
In what is a mystery to many Johnson Camden had the University Library at then Morehead State Teachers College now Morehead State University in Morehead, Kentucky named for him in 1929. Johnson Camden had no ties to the school nor had ever visited.
- United States Congress. "Johnson N. Camden Jr. (id: C000063)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
|United States Senate|
William O. Bradley
|United States Senator (Class 3) from Kentucky
1914 - 1915
| Succeeded by|
J. C. W. Beckham